General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

98 accord LX a/c recharge help

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 10:05 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 98 accord LX a/c recharge help

I searched and nothing came up. My AC system only blows cold air at night and during the day i can feel cool air if i hold my hand right on the vents but once it reaches me it's slightly cooler than the hot houston air. I have changed the freon fairly recently, i am thinking about 6 months ago. I figure maybe the systems needs a recharge and from the videos i have seen it's simple but i want to be absolutely sure i am doing it the right way.

Can anyone help walk me through the steps with pics if possible please? If this video is correct, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTa4f7UUqzA , then i just need pics to show me where the valve exactly the valve is. Thanks.

Old 07-30-2010, 02:55 PM

Man if you have to replace the refrigerant after 6 months, you have a leak somewhere. I've never had to do mine in the 2000 and I live in Mississippi and have to run the AC 11 months out of the year (like you do in Houston.)
If you must do it, the recharge kit will come with instructions that are self explanatory and fairly easy to follow. I did it before on a 95 Accord, but I knew I was just putting a band-aid on the problem.
Normally the high pressure valve is on the bottom and the low pressure valve will be on the top where you can easily reach it. You DO NOT try to recharge it through the high pressure valve. In my 95, the valves where the only thing in the engine bay that had blue caps on them and were labeled "H" for high and "L" for low.
I would highly recommend getting the thing diagnosed and checked for leaks though.

Old 07-30-2010, 03:48 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Yea i saw that advanced auto pats will do a free ac system check. I'll have them do that and go from there. Thanks for the help.

Old 07-30-2010, 03:59 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

The low side that you want to charge from is the larger AC line. You have to remove all the old Freon to know how much to put in and that it complicated part as it is suppose to be recycled to save the Ozone layer. My 1995 Accord had a small leak and I used one of the AC leak sealers and five years later it is still holding. There is always the chance with any leak sealer it will do harm. I would never try to the PS or trans sealer.

Old 07-30-2010, 04:40 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Well my dad had my car all day and when he came back he fixed the AC lol, i sat in the car and it was nice and cold, apparently it needed a can of freon. Now i just need to change my head gasket, that's easy right? Just take off the head, replace, lubricate with oil, and put it back on. I've taken the head off of my 89 accord so if it is basically the same procedure then it won't be a problem.

Last edited by doat; 07-30-2010 at 09:07 PM.