General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Speedometer and odometer do not work

Old 06-19-2011, 04:55 PM
Default Speedometer and odometer do not work

Hi, I have a 95 Accord with mechanical Speedometer and odometer. They almost stopped working (the mileage is being added only 15% of driving time). There is no Check engine light on. Somebody told me it's the cable that runs from tranny to dashboard and to replace it I will have to pay 600 dollars or so. Please advise if this is what I have to do or is there another way to fix this problem?
thanks

Old 06-19-2011, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator

It is odd that it still works just not as much. Does the cruise control still work?

A cable from the tranny to dashboard? Do you mean wires? The only thing that hooks up to the gauge cluster is wires.

I'd take a guess that the vehicle speed sensor on the transmission has gone bad.

I would at least try replacing the Vehicle Speed sensor first, as it can be replaced for about $15-20 and its a job even people with no mechanical skill can handle.

Old 06-19-2011, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

Hold on. Your speedometer is electronically driven.

When the speedometer is not working, does the cruise control work? If yes, then the speedometer is the problem. If no cruise control, then VSS.

Does the speed stay stuck at 19mph? That is also a classic problem of the speedometer.

If you know how to solder, you can attempt to repair solder joints on the speedometer board, so you can keep the proper mileage.

Old 06-19-2011, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Hold on. Your speedometer is electronically driven.

When the speedometer is not working, does the cruise control work? If yes, then the speedometer is the problem. If no cruise control, then VSS.

Does the speed stay stuck at 19mph? That is also a classic problem of the speedometer.

If you know how to solder, you can attempt to repair solder joints on the speedometer board, so you can keep the proper mileage.
Is it electronic then? I am totally confused. 2 mechanics said it was the cable (just like you have on a bike) and one guy (who claimed to be a guru with imports cars) charged me 30 bucks for his consultation. Ok, my odometer doesn't have electronic digits in it, there's only wheels that rotate as vehicle moves. Is it electronically driven?

Old 06-19-2011, 10:10 PM
Super Moderator

Yes it is electronic.

Old 06-19-2011, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Yes, around 30 km/h (i am in Canada)
I haven't tried cruise, will try tomorrow

Old 06-19-2011, 10:20 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like the cluster is bad. Its a fairly common problem on the 94-97 Accords.

As PAhonda said you can try to solder the connections and fix it. Or you can buy a replacement. They go on ebay for $50-100USD or so. Most of the sellers can roll the mileage to match your car.

Old 08-07-2011, 12:32 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I'm having the same issue on my '94 wagon. It works (speed and odometer) maybe 15% of the time. So, I know the car had the gauge replaced once before... now its bad again.

My question is this: does anyone have a diagram or picture to show how/what solder joints to repair? Maybe a pictorial on this recurring issue?

Old 08-07-2011, 12:47 AM

On my car every time the odometer hits xxxxx99, it gets stuck and I have to hit the reset multiple times for it to roll over. It's odd.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Nubby,
I'm not aware of any guidance on gauge panel circuit board repair. What I have done on other circuit boards is to use a very good light and magnifying glass to inspect very carefully looking for bad solder jts, cracked conductor threads, or damaged components. Usually power supply is the culprit, so you might try to trace the power supply on the circuit board.

Next step is to source a used gauge panel on ebay or car-part.com. I checked car-part.com and there were some available at around $30 avg.

Peli, Same advice. Although I might try a healthy dose of WD40 into the movement for lube.

good luck

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Speedometer and odometer do not work