General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

98 Honda Accord EVAP Questions, Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 11:15 PM
Default 98 Honda Accord EVAP Questions, Please help!

Hello, everyone! I have a 98 honda accord, EX 6 cylinder. The engine light is on, checked the code and found there is an EVAP leaking.

When checked the system under the car, tried to figure out the "leaking", and found these hoses got loose. Would you please help me check what are those hoses, and are they part of the EVAP?

Those two hoses are right next to the Canister, I marked those with red circle.

Really appreciate for your help!

Attached Thumbnails 98 Honda Accord EVAP Questions, Please help!-__.jpg   98 Honda Accord EVAP Questions, Please help!-__-1-.jpg  
Old 02-05-2016, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator

There's 2 different "EVAP" error codes, it would help to know which one.
P1456 EVAP leak - fuel tank system
P1457 EVAP leak - control canister system

Not sure which hoses are in the photo, maybe #24 which I think are associated with the fuel-tank pressure sensor. That pressure sensor is associated with both of those EVAP error codes.

Attached Thumbnails 98 Honda Accord EVAP Questions, Please help!-1998-v6-fuel-lines.gif  
Old 02-05-2016, 11:32 PM

Thanks, JimBlake! I forgot the exactly code, not sure if it was P1456 or P1457. But thanks for the explanation, I will look over to fuel tank system/ pressure sensor. It seems one of the #24 hose is the hose I am looking for, the slim one, but mine has two of them. Thanks for the picture! Will go deeper to the pressure sensor part. Thanks again!

Old 02-08-2016, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator

Each one of those 2 codes is saying that part of the EVAP system is not airtight. The system uses the fuel tank pressure sensor to check the airtightness of both parts of the system. I imagine that loose vacuum hoses for the sensor would cause both of those codes together.

For P1456 by far the most common thing is a loose gas cap, so they tell you to check that it's tight & the gasket is good. But P1456 can also be caused by a number of other things including a crack in the tank itself OR LOOSE VACUUM HOSES.

Old 02-08-2016, 10:01 AM

In addition the cutoff solenoid on cars in then northeast or areas with good winters and salted roads tends to be a potential failure. Often times if you check all the solenoids by direct voltage and they all click (so you would assume they are all good) it is a leak on the metal plate for the above solenoid. If hoses were off then clear codes and run it. It can take up to a couple of days to a week of running it before EVAP codes reappear depending on driving style, so be patient. If you have to pass inspection and the code stays off for a day the computer should have reset so get it inspected and deal with the code later if it reappears. IMO.

Old 06-14-2016, 07:24 PM
Newest Of Newbies

My 1998 honda accord had the evap canister and solenoid changed 6 months ago and there has been no check engine light since then. For the last 4 months there has been a gas leak with again no check engine light. Got the tank changed last week (after market), but since then have been getting P1457. The mechanic is saying it is because of the after market tank but I think he has messed something else. No P1456 BTW. There is a hose going to the filter canister and that was torn by him and he changed it after my insistence. After the change, the code comes back in 2 days instead of 1. I cannot afford to drop the tank again. Any suggestions?