General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 Honda Accord - shifting jerks btwn gear 1 and 2

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 04:30 PM
specialfx3000
Unregistered
Default 98 Honda Accord - shifting jerks btwn gear 1 and 2

Hi All,

I'm a new member and was wondering if someone can shed some light on my problem.

For the past few months, my automatic Accord 98 EX experienced the following:

1. When I start the car in the morning or after getting off work, for the first 5 minutes, the shifting jerks between gear 1 and 2. The RPM struggles to 3000 and drops suddenly. Seems worst going up a hill.

2. When slowing gently, at the point when it stops, it gives another jerking feeling.

After this 5 minutes or so, everthing works as normal. Stopping is fine, going up a hill is fine. There may be an unsmooth changing of gear now and then, but generally the issue goes away.... until I park for say over 8 hours. Then cycle repeats itself.

I brought the car in for the "major" service as well as a transmission flush. (Spent over $500) That did not solve the problem and just yesterday, the check light came on.

I found a lot of chats on google about similar problems but nothing that could help me specifically.

Some say there was a recall on 00,01 models for a faulty transmission but not the '98. However, the '98 supposedly has the same transmission so do we have any recourse?

Could I get my Honda Dealer to look at it further without charging me further? Possible clean the ERG port?

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-11-2006, 04:05 AM
Default RE: 98 Honda Accord - shifting jerks btwn gear 1 and 2

I think you may still have worranty the tranny. But I cant put my life on it

Old 08-11-2006, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

Where did you get the tranny flushed. I think Honda doesn't recommend flushing; they want you to simply drain & fill. If it wasn't done at a dealer, did they use Honda ATF?

The business about jerking as you come to a stop could be 2 things. If it's EXACTLY at the point of stopping, it can be your brakes grabbing. Every car I've ever owned, you have to let up somewhat on the brake just at the point of stopping.

If it's just BEFORE stopping, then it's pretty much the same tranny problem. You're feeling it downshift from 2nd into 1st.

Old 08-11-2006, 02:24 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

yea just get that code checked and let us know what it is. if it is egr insufficient flow, then its your egr, youll need to get a kit to fix that problem. your tranny may be a lost cause

Old 08-15-2006, 07:57 PM
specialfx3000
Unregistered

Thanks for the reply all. I will bring it in to Honda next weeks.

Yes, the Flush was done at the Honda dealership.

Chokes me to pay Honda another $75 or so to check the code... emailed them and they wouldn't budge to check the code free of charge even though I paid them hefty when I initially brought it in. (of course light was not on then).

Miki mentioned trans warrantee might still be avail? I'll check later... what is standard trans warantee anyways? (I'm in Canada if that makes a diff)

Old 08-16-2006, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator

Tranny supposed to be covered under the normal vehicle warranty. But there has been problems with 6th-gen auto trannys, so Honda has been covering some of them (but I think only years 2000+). But that's USA & I don't know whether it's treated differently in Canada.

Old 08-16-2006, 09:20 PM

1998 accord transmission is NOT COVERED UNDER ANY EXTENDED WARRANTY.

YOUR TRANSMISSION IS TOAST. You may be able to get some assistance from Honda of America (I believe they service canada as well) but you will need to have the following:

1. Complete service history of the car (preferrably done at a Honda dealer)
2. Well under a 100K on the car.
3. BE NICE TO THEM

The minimum cost to rebuild that trans will be about $2100 but in reality it is going to be closer to $3600

Old 08-16-2006, 09:21 PM

on the data link connector (left kick panel driver side) short pins #8 and #13 and count the number of long and short flashes and post of the # of each

Old 08-16-2006, 09:38 PM

a fairly large number of auto parts stores can pull codes too and will generally do it free of charge, autozone in america does it... call some parts stores, get the code and post it

Old 08-28-2006, 04:30 PM
specialfx3000
Unregistered

Got the code, finally... PO700 (supposedly bad transmission).

Now my conflict is whether to spend the $3000 on a rebuild or sell the car.

Wonder what I could get for a 98 Accord with a bad tranny these days.

(Or should I fix it and sell it?)

hmmmm....

Quick Reply: 98 Honda Accord - shifting jerks btwn gear 1 and 2