General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

99 Accord EX engine makes chugging sound??

Old 05-22-2011, 06:24 PM
Default 99 Accord EX engine makes chugging sound??

I reciently noticed a noise coming from under my hood, and cant pin-point the problem, and was hoping someone could help me.

I have a 1999 honda accord ex, 2.3 l Vtec.

The noise is like a chugging type sound almost like if the car was low on oil but its not that. The oil level is fine.

The car rides fine. It hasnt had any effect on my engine performance or anything yet, and nothing seems to be wrong, and my check engine light isnt on.

The noise is only there when the car is in park and, and when I shift it from park to drive, reverse...ect the noise stops, but as soon as i put it back into park the noise starts again.

Anyone have any idea what it may be. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:29 PM

Hi Honda69,
I tried adding some water drops as you suggested but nothing. Its like a grinding metal sound. I tried isolating where I thought the sound was coming from and if standing in front of the car its coming from the back left side of the engine it seems like but sound travesl and can be deceiving so who knows. Thanks for your input.
I can tell you that the check engine light comes on and off randomly.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:35 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds are difficult to diagnose over the internet. You should try to locate the sound. You can use a long screwdriver or a piece of hose as a mechanics stethoscope.

Google 6mpNRJ7m-c8

It is a video on trying to locate sounds.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:06 PM

Hi everyone,
So I took the car to the mechanic and I was told the sound is coming from the transmission. The car still shifts well so I was told to keep driving it until the problem is bigger so I that I wouldn't have to spend the money to rebuild the transmission. I think it may be time to go car shopping soon. I think the 99 Accord has given all it was going to give.