General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

99 Accord has trouble starting in cold, Check engine light is on with full gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 09:09 AM
Default 99 Accord has trouble starting in cold, Check engine light is on with full gas tank

Hello,

I have a '99 Accord LX, Four-door, V6 with 260K miles. Recently, the check engine light has started coming on when the gas tank is full and stays on until the tank gets down to about half a tank or a little less and then it turns off. The car also has quite a lot of trouble starting in the cold. It will sputter on and idle REALLY low and often stall. After it warms up, it runs fine.

I replaced the main fuel relay and this improved the problem slightly for a little while. The car idles slightly better, although the starting issue is still there and the check engine light is still on. I then was told that maybe the problem was the gas cap. I replaced the gas cap this morning and it has had no effect that I can discern.

Also, the battery is less than a year old, so I'm assuming that that isn't the problem.

Thoughts?

I am starting to wonder about the fuel line, fuel pump, chokes and things of that nature. Perhaps there is a part that doesn't function when cold for some reason? Perhaps a part doesn't get the heat that it needs to start? Perhaps a bad fuse? I'm pretty stumped and any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited by RyanHostetler; 11-05-2013 at 09:20 AM.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

You have ignored the best clue to your problem; check engine light. Go to Autozone or other parts store and ask them to pull the code. Write down the code and post it here; Pnnnn is form of code.

Any recent maintenance? How many miles on plugs and wires.

good luck

Old 11-05-2013, 01:37 PM

I'm going to go to AutoZone this afternoon and have them scan it. I was a little reluctant before because I'm super short on money right now, although I now realize it is a free service.

Old 11-05-2013, 05:00 PM

The code is P0118.

It looks to me like the ECT sensor is bad or possibly the wires that connect to it. Any suggestions?

Last edited by RyanHostetler; 11-05-2013 at 05:20 PM.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:36 PM

Anybody have a link (or can describe) where this ECT sensor is so I can take a look at it?

Old 11-05-2013, 06:17 PM
Super Moderator
Default 99 Accord has trouble starting in cold, Check engine light is on with full gas tank

ECT is engine coolant temperature sensor.

It's #15 above the water pump; it has a 2-wire plug.

Not to be confused with the other 2 water-temperature "sensors":
#13 with a 1-wire plug is for the dashboard temperature gauge
#14 is a radiator-fan-switch

Attached Thumbnails 99 Accord has trouble starting in cold, Check engine light is on with full gas tank-1999-v6-water-pump.jpg  
Old 11-05-2013, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator

Here's a photo.

Attached Thumbnails 99 Accord has trouble starting in cold, Check engine light is on with full gas tank-ect-sensor.jpg  
Old 11-05-2013, 09:44 PM

Thanks, guys! That helps so much!!! It looks like I might need to remove one or two of the tubes that are in the way. Any advice on that?

Old 11-06-2013, 10:04 AM

Can anyone tell me what the two tubes are that block access to the ECT sensor? I'm wondering if I can remove them temporarily to do the replacement.

Old 11-06-2013, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

You can remove any tube w/ clamp at end. Some may be coolant lines and coolant will spill or you can use a small vise grip to pinch the hose to minimize coolant loss.

good luck

Quick Reply: 99 Accord has trouble starting in cold, Check engine light is on with full gas tank