General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 accord stalling

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 06:58 PM
Ayam A. Mowran
Unregistered
Default 99 accord stalling

g'day folks. i have a 99 accord ex 102k. my problem is once in a while my car would just shut off. its happened a couple times already. i'd be driving and the srs, engine and maint light would blink and the engine sounds like it revs then dies. when i restart the car wont turn over. i have to wait like a min then it would start. i really dont know much but been reading up and learning.
i DIY my oil change 2 months ago. if you have any info what it could be it would be appreciated. cheers

Old 08-16-2006, 10:28 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: 99 accord stalling

ignition switch

Old 08-17-2006, 02:23 AM

there is a recall on the ignition switch ,, has it been done ??

Old 08-23-2006, 06:37 PM
derf
Unregistered

I'm having the same problem.Infact my 99 Acord ex is dead. It will not start this afternoon. This has been happening for a while, but getting worse. It will usually start after 15 minutes or so, but not today. I have an appnt tommoro @ 5:30 for the recall "ignition Switch", if I can get the car to the dealership. A private mechanic told me it's the cold start sensor?? He says he has had to replace a ton of them. Anybody know?

Old 08-23-2006, 07:44 PM
Administrator

Aye Matie..as they both said...sounds like ignition switch problem and ...Did you go for that re-call?? if not go for it ...make appointment..look in section here in the forums what Says Recalls...

WheelBrokerAng [sm=pimp.gif]

Old 08-24-2006, 11:10 PM
derf
Unregistered

Okay, I went to the dealer...they replaced the mechanical part of the ignition switch under warrantee. They refused to aknowledge something was wrong wioth starting the car. When I got the keys, it stalled twice, then finally started. The service tech then told me after a 5 minute diagnosis that it could be the electrical part of the ignition swtich that had already been replaced under warrantee before. They proceeded to replaced this part...with labor $200. The car still will not start right. Sometimes it takes 3-4 cranks or doesn't start at all.I almost got stuck on the way home. Another service tech there suggested that it was the fuel pump relay? What should I do??? I am not independantly wealthy enough to keep sinking money into this car without it being fixed. I am going to replace the battery as I know it is 3 years old and weak, but it still is cranking the starter and there is no reason the car should shut off mysteriously while driving?

Old 08-24-2006, 11:46 PM

fuel pressure regulator or fuel pump

Old 08-28-2006, 09:53 PM
derf
Unregistered

Well I replaced the Battery and the car ran beautifully all weekend. So I returned to honda to get my money back for the ignition switch they installed for $200. What a fool thing to do!!! Now the car will not start properly again. I find it so hard to believe that it needed a battery and switch. Well.. Should I go back to honda with my tail between my legs and apologize and have them put it back in. I noticed how easy it could be to install it myself if i could find someone who has the part besides my local dealer? Any recommendations??

Old 08-29-2006, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator

hondaautomotiveparts.com
manhonda.com
ahmotor.com

Old 09-07-2006, 08:45 AM
derf
Unregistered

Well as I said... the ignition switch had already been replaced under warantee 3 years ago. My new battery went dead after two days leading me to believe that there is a drain on the car or it could be the alternator. Since I have an amp hooked directly to the battery I pulled the fuse. For a week the car runs but still does not always start on the first crank and sometimes requires me to press the pedal down to give it fuel on the start. The baterry was checked yesterday and is ok...11.5 volt under load and goes up to 14.7, so it appears the alternator is doing it's job. The stereo shop refuses to believe that it is the amp although their anmeters were broken and could not test to see if there is a drain. They believe the amp is shutting off because the light is going off. Yesterday, when I pulled up to the stop sign the car just died. It also has an irregular idle...idles very low at times. Any more suggestions??

Quick Reply: 99 accord stalling