General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

99 accord transmission trouble

Old 12-31-2008, 09:08 AM
MattVA
Unregistered
Default 99 accord transmission trouble

hi -

having issue with the auto tranmission in my accord, it started slipping a little first thing in the mornings only going into overdrive, I changed the fluid in the trans twice now back to back, 2nd oil change done about 500 miles after first change. problem had gone away, now its been about 2 weeks after oil change and while driving on the interstate the car started kicking in and out of gear... rpm go up and i slow down .... I took the exit and slowed down and pulled auot shifter into 3rd gear, was driving fine for about a mile or 2 and then, same thing slipping in and out of gear, engage - disengage, i had to put into 2nd gear and drive like 8 miles to get home. I have not been able to get it checked for codes or anything as of now, fluid level was fine, nothing obvouis that i saw. anyone else have problem like this, is my tranny gone?? 1st and 2nd gear appear to be working as they should, doesn't slip or nothing,

Could this just be electrical as far as the TCM??

Any help would be greatly appricated ......

Old 12-31-2008, 12:53 PM
Default RE: 99 accord transmission trouble

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the trans is gone. 98-02 accords were notorious for having slushbox automatic transmissions. About 50% of them were toast within 100k miles.

If I were you, I would get rid of the car. If you getsomeone to rebuild or replace the trans, there is a 50% chance that the same thing will happen again.

Old 12-31-2008, 01:04 PM
MattVA
Unregistered

thats what i am afraid of and still in denial of...... the thing that gets me the most is, the car is clean, no body damage, nice interior (leather), the car is nice, its just now a yard ornament….errrrrr……

Old 12-31-2008, 01:15 PM

Yeah Falkore24 had his trans go out not too long ago. He traded his in (took a hit for the blown trans)and bought a Scion TC (traitor [:'(]).

Several people have had their trans replaces under the Honda extended waranty (Your's is already out of the window I am aftraid - 7 years or 100k miles I think - but you might want to double check on that.) But many of the people who had their trans replaced....the trans went out again and was replaced a 3rd time - it seems the 3rd one had held up in most cases I have read about, or else the owner just got rid of the car.

Old 01-01-2009, 02:10 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

You could invest $1800 in a rebuild of the tranny and turn the car around and sell it right away, making no mention of the transmission.

Warranty is 109,000 miles.
http://www.hondatransmissionsettleme.../php/login.php

Old 01-02-2009, 06:50 AM
MattVA
Unregistered

Anyone ever heard of everdrive.com?? They have AT tranmissions for like $1400 with 3 year war. [/align]

Old 01-02-2009, 09:40 AM

ORIGINAL: 00AccordLX5spd
If I were you, I would get rid of the car. If you getsomeone to rebuild or replace the trans, there is a 50% chance that the same thing will happen again.
Really?

The OP didn't tell us the mileage, but this could be a $5,000-$8,000 car. I don't think junking it is the right way to go about this, especially if you can find a reasonable priced rebuild. If this is the four cylinder version, those transmissions are not nearly as unreliable. Either way, on a nice car, it is worth the repair. I've never seen a transmission repair come with anything less than a one year warranty, so he can at least keep it that long. It makes a lot more financial sense than simply "getting rid of the car".

Old 01-02-2009, 05:45 PM

I had similar problem with my 99 accord auto. It turned out to be my ECM. Replaced the ECM and now transmission is working fine.

I would suggest getting the code checked.

Old 01-04-2009, 06:04 PM
MattVA
Unregistered

Ok so I finally got a chance to work on the Accord, started out by checking the fault codes that have since came in, I had 5 of them two where the same on the code reader so only listing 4

P0700 – Automatic transmission fault
1. indicates trans fault – check other codes.

P1739 – Automatic transaxle concerns

P0740 - TCC solenoid circuit condition
1. open or short circuit
2. Poor electrical condition
3. failed TCC system

P0730 – Faulty shift control system
1. low transmission fluid
1. Poor electrical connection
2. failed transmission shift control system

Now, remember that I did not flush the trans. But just did two consecutive oil changes about 750 miles apart. I first removed the neg. lead from battery (to reset fault on ECU), second removed the solenoids and cleaned the screens, which I did not feel where that bad. Rechecked trans fluid level and decided to take a test run. The car shifts fine, you can gas it and it feels great. Now I am telling you the other night when coming home I honestly thought I was going to teat the CV’s in half the way the car was bucking and slipping in and out of gear, it was bad… I truly felt it was catastrophic to the auto trans.

I still feel like there is something looming inside the trans just waiting for me, I think it would be best to remove the trans from the car and clean it out, and replace the filter, which by the way is got to be the dumbest thing I have ever seen on a car – I can not believe you have to remove the trans and separate it just to get to the filter eerrrrrr…. BS![:@]
Any feed back would be great about now… floor open to comments / suggestions

Old 01-24-2009, 12:33 PM
av8rphil
Unregistered

Hey Matt,
I am having a very similar problem with my 1999 4 cyl. EX. It began with a sluggish shift into first gear. I changed the fluid and put in an additive. It was somewhat better but then the other morning it started a gear shifting dance, going up and down through the gears and finally it seemed to end up in second gear. (probably default) I was able to limp home at 30 MPH. It wouldn't even move in reverse. Like you, I can't accept that this tranny is toast. It never did slip and the fluid was not burned. It acts like a solenoid pack or TCM malfunction. It seems like there should be an honest and knowledgeable Honda mechanic on-line that could explain such a problem. I have taken note of your codes and will pull mine. If I can't find a simple solution I guess I will part it out. Its only worth $3500 by blue book.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 99 accord transmission trouble