General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

AC compressor oil questions

Old 07-23-2007, 09:05 PM
trock859
Unregistered
Default AC compressor oil questions

Hey all,

I have 2 questions. First, is PAG 46 an OK compressor oil to use on the Denso compressor? I have a 95 accord LX that the evaporator core gave out on. I havereplaced the evaporator, expansion valve,dryer, and all seals along those parts. I also replaced the oil required per the FSM with a genericPAG 46 oil. I plan on evacuating and refilling soon, but got to wondering whether the oil was OK. I already had the PAG 46 from a previous repair on a Chrysler product.

Second, I thought the system would not have pressure due to the leak and opened the low pressure line at the evaporator core. That was a mistake! I lost a pretty good pool of oil there. I replaced someoil in the compressor, but I was wondering if there was any way to tell how much is in the compressor without removingit?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 07-23-2007, 09:43 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: AC compressor oil questions

According to chart I found, the PAG46 is a substitute for the ND8 speced by Honda.
http://www.wrenchead.ca/pub/PAG_oils_application-05.pdf

I have used BVA 100 (polyol ester oil) from ackits.com for my two, R134a re-builds. I drained the compressor, evaporator, and receiver/drier in each case, and blew the condensor w/ air to remove any oil. I then installed slightly more than full spec amount of oil.

ackits.com sells a double-end capped Pag46 which is supposed to be a very good PAG. Many PAG's are susceptible to moisture contamination if stored, so it might be worth buying some new oil before charging your car.

I've installed 8oz of oil in my 94 EX and my 99 Subaru Forester. In each case, this is slightly more than spec amount. I simply emptied the 8oz bottle of BVA100 I had purchased. Both systems cool fine, and the 94EX has been working now for over 2 yrs since overhauled.

good luck

Old 07-23-2007, 09:53 PM
trock859
Unregistered
Default RE: AC compressor oil questions

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm glad to know the oil is equivalent. I will probably add another 50 ml or so to the compressor just to be sure. I've learned my lesson about discharging the system, even if there has been a leak!