General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

ACCORD 2.4L i-vtec timing chain problem? stalling

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 01:48 PM
Question ACCORD 2.4L i-vtec timing chain problem? stalling

The car is question:
2003 honda accord 2.4L 4 cyl. i-vtech EX-L model. Standard transmission, 4 door,
140,000 miles

My car was idling ruff (rpms bouncing, or cutting off) and stalling while driving when i press clutch or stalling when idling parked.

i got the following codes:

p1157 ?

p0420 cat below threshold

p0341 camshaft position sensor

p0134o2 sensor no activity bank1-1

Mechanic cleared the codes and the p0341 came back right away.

i just moved to this area and dont know any good mechanics.

The mechanic i went to said that it is my air fuel sensor, cat, 02 and cam shaft and crank shaft sensor.

He said since the cam and crank sensors both showed codes that it is not likely they both went bad at the same time so he thinks its a timing chain issue.

He said my timing chain needs to be replaced with tensioner to fix this problem. He said the timing chain gets stretched over the years and it is causing all of these problems (except the o2 bank1-1)
On a side note
When i first got to the garage he listened to my motor and i asked him if the timing sounded ok and he said yes. he never actually took the cover off to check the timing.
He wants to charge me $800 -$900 for the job (parts included)

Please a quick response or feedback would be very appreciated.
thanks in advance

Old 11-22-2011, 07:18 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

A stretched or damaged cam chain is one possibility. Others are Vtec oil control solenoid has failed, VTC actuator.

I would want the diagnostic procedure for this fault to be performed carefully before deciding to replace the timing chain. Was camshaft timing checked and found to be off? If not, then your mechanic is guessing on fault.

Unless you have lot's of confidence in your mechanic, I would suggest going to someone w/ lots of experience w/ later model honda 2.4L engine, or to a Honda dealer shop.

good luck

Old 11-22-2011, 07:28 PM

Also I forgot to add:
My engine burns a lot of oil. 300 miles of driving I loose about 2 liters of oil. The day my problems started my oil light came on and I saw I had only maybe less than 1 little of oil in the engine
Would this of damaged the chain?

Old 11-23-2011, 06:14 AM

Does this info seem accurate:

First off if anyone that quotes you 3.6 hours to replace a timing chain i'd run away. Honda's labor for timing chain replacement is up to 8 hours labor plus parts which could be up to 1600.00 in parts and labor. Honda's timing belt replacement time is 3.6 hours not chains.

The timing chain tensioner is oil fed, and relys on engine oil pressure to function and keep tension on the chain. If your engine run low on oil the tensioner will not keep tension against the chain and can jump timing. If it will not idle chances are it has jumped or now is loose and worn. When this happens camshaft out of sync codes are generated.
The codes should be cleared and engine run again, high RPM will generate the cam sensor codes again right away if the chain is loose or jumped. It takes about 30 minutes to remove the valve cover and inspect the chain. If the chain requires replacement honda now has a bulletin update that requires you to replace the chain, both cam sprockets, tensioner, and all chain guides, recommended crankshaft sprocket but requires removing oil pan and we have never seen a crankshaft sprocket worn to date. If the engine is burning excessive amounts of oil that explains the HO2 sensor codes, the oil will cause these codes.

Last edited by bougie_44; 11-23-2011 at 06:17 AM.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:31 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Confusing post.

Looking at procedure, timing belt and chain replacement don't look too different, but I have not done a timing chain replacement, and never done timing belt on dual overhead cam Vtec, so 8 hrs could be correct, but seems a bit high.

It should be possible to easily inspect the timing chain for looseness by removing upper cover, rotating engine to #1TDC (even if #1 piston is only guide) and examining the upper cam sprockets for alignment. If all is aligned, then you've ruled out valve timing as one cause.

Oil consumption could be PCV malfunction. Inspect PCV hose and PCV and clean or replace as necessary.

Failure to check oil and change oil regularly can lead to vtec problems and potentially timing chain problems.

good luck

Last edited by TexasHonda; 11-23-2011 at 06:46 AM.
Old 11-26-2011, 05:01 PM
Default 2.4 V techs are time bombs

Just got back from Florida had to buy a new car, my 05 Honda accord 4 cyl 2.4 with 110,000 miles jumped a tooth or two and died on Thanksgiving at the hotel. Not HAPPY....Lucky for us it didn't die in rural Tennessee on the way home.The idle was rough the night before it happened and when I went to start it the next morning Guess what happened ? jack squatt.

The stealer says "he never saw that before" Hmm .. Parts were not available and time was an issue and they had us by the short curly hairs so we traded it in for a newer Civic. They said it could be over $1600 or worse.

If you own any V-tech 2.4 get the chain checked now!

Funny thing is it was just in the dealer a week ago for the transmission recall and we asked them to look it over the only thing they said it needed was plugs, which had been replaced week earlier. Oh and the extended warranty ended at 100,000 miles.... go figure.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:22 AM

It is the chain and it a pain to do also once it is fixed I think the cat. code WILL come back as with the O2 codes all due to oil usage time to look for a good used eng. IMHO