Go Back   Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums > General > General Tech Help
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to the Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-11-2011, 01:32 PM

Default accord high pressure power steering hose

The high pressure power steering hose is leaking fluid. This is a short piece of rubber hose held in place with screw adjustable clamps. Are any safety tip to be concerned with when replacing this hose?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Honda Accord Forum!
Old 03-11-2011, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator
2005 Acura TSX

The only time that line should have high pressure is when the pump is running.

Just lubricate the o-ring with some PS fluid, so it doesn't tear when you seat it.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:20 PM

Thanks for the info, good to know, though the house I'm referring too is the short rubber hose that located near the fan almost below that a pain to get to from the top. It's also a high pressure hose that connects to a oil cooler.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator

Can you point out the leaking hose on this picture?
Click the image to open in full size.

The high-pressure hose (#4) doesn't go under the radiator.

The oil "cooler" is the steel tube #16 down low in front. Is your leaking hose somewhere in that area?
'10 Saab 9sc
Old 03-11-2011, 10:04 PM

Yes it is the oil cooler hose #16. The parts guy at the dealer referred to it as a high pressure hose and yes it is leaking. You may want to change the thread title and remove "high pressure".
Old 03-12-2011, 07:14 PM
Super Moderator

Wait I read that wrong... the steel cooler line is #18 while #16 is a rubber hose.

I guess just figure out what's excatly leaking.

- the metal tube #18 corroded & leaking through?
- bad hoses at either end? (#13 or 16)
- hose clamps?

The pipe #18 is probably less than $20 at a dealer, cheaper from mail-order. (But check shipping costs) Not sure if you REALLY need curved hose, but if you get generic hose by the foot, you really have to worry about whether it's rated for the hot PS fluid. Coolant hose might not hold up.

I'd just replace what's leaking. If you have the new components ready with hose clamps, you might be able to hold your thumb over the open end while you swap parts to minimize the leaking. Or just use this as an excuse to drain the system & use fresh fluid.

Probably remove the splash shield from below the nose of the car, & reach this stuff from underneath. No real special precautions for this job, other than common sense. Don't allow any dirt to get into the system. Try not to get the PS fluid in your eyes...
'10 Saab 9sc
Old 03-13-2011, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator

Two things to add. If you get "bulk hose", I'd go for trans cooler hose as it will stand up to the pressure and the ps fluid.

If you have to add ps fluid. Only use approved Honda/Acura power steering fluid....but one other thing to ask, if you haven't changed the ps fluid in a while this might be a good chance to do so. You've got to open up the system, so why not drain out as much of the old fluid as you can. Then refill with fresh clean fluid.

My child arrived just the other day, he came to the world in the usual way

Heaven is in the palm of my hand and it is waiting here for you, what I am I suppose to do with a childhood tragedy
Old 03-13-2011, 08:21 AM

Tags
1997, 2003, 2005, 99, accord, change, cost, high, honda, hose, power, pressure, squeal, steering, v6