General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions on Coil Springs.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2021, 05:08 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Questions on Coil Springs.

Hello all. I have a 03 Accord 4 cyl. that I changed out the Strut assembly's on all fours. They were from RockAuto, parts were Gabriel 4 cyl application. After the install and a break in period (if it needed it at all) it seams as the suspension is quite TIGHT or BOUNCES quickly then settles quite FAST with NO Real Comfort Ride at all. Called Gabriel's Tech Dept found out there R n D dept choose to have all there strut assembly replacements for a 6 cyl car, WTF. Being all 4 cyl cars Suffer Ride Comfort but 6cyl cars ride just fine. I'm a little Confused on why they choose that route.

Now for my question can the coil springs be "cut" down one coil to take out some of there stiffness? I know this will lower the car a little and that's OK.

Old 02-03-2021, 07:21 PM
Super Moderator

That will actually make it MORE stiff. One less coil means that much less compliance.

Old 02-04-2021, 11:54 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by JimBlake
That will actually make it MORE stiff. One less coil means that much less compliance.

After I found out that Gabriel choose to use the 6 cyl springs for both cars 4 and 6 cyl I then called around to other Manufacturing Companies for Aftermarket strut and spring assemblies and ALSO found they do the same, most of them have ONLY one part number for both 4 and 6 cyl car applications. The Dealer has two different numbers for 4 and 6 cyl cars but at a pretty "Pricey Value" at around $450 each spring. . . . let me say that again at $450 a spring. Pretty pricey for a car of 18 yrs old for replacement parts. . . . . Sounds like they (Honda) uses the same "Tactics" as Harley Davidson uses the bike Company can give you the bike but will "Profit" ladder by the Maintenance and Bling Bling bills that "will" pile up (ask me how I know).

Pretty sad that we have to put up with having someone else make Decisions on how aftermarket parts that are supposed to be made as good or better than the OEM parts. Here's the kicker I cant even get the OEM specs from Honda as to how there springs were made so I could have a spring manufacture make me some replacements that would make my car ride like it should without the tight bouncing I have now.

I know that was"long winded" but hey I have too vent my anger somewhere right, LOL

Thanks, tight bouncy 03 Accord owner.

Last edited by babcock9er; 02-04-2021 at 11:57 AM.
Old 02-04-2021, 12:35 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I would think Moog and or Monroe would be different. Those have always been my go to for quick struts. Did you query them also?

Old 02-04-2021, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator

Hmmm, I just checked https://www.bernardiparts.com and they have the OEM rear springs for $243.62 per side and the front springs for $139.99 per side; not exactly cheap, but far cheaper that $450.00 per spring.

Old 02-04-2021, 01:14 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by Seanjordan20
I would think Moog and or Monroe would be different. Those have always been my go to for quick struts. Did you query them also?
Yep I did. Same story.

Old 02-04-2021, 01:34 PM
Super Moderator

I just checked RockAuto; KYB does show different part numbers for the front and rear strut assemblies for the I4 and V6 models.

Old 02-04-2021, 01:40 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by shipo
Hmmm, I just checked https://www.bernardiparts.com and they have the OEM rear springs for $243.62 per side and the front springs for $139.99 per side; not exactly cheap, but far cheaper that $450.00 per spring.
Shipo. Not looking for OEM parts, that's why I went with aftermarket complete setup (pkg of 4) strut assembly kit was $429.00 + shipping. Like I said above the Dealer wont give me the "spec's" on how they were made so I could have a Spring Company use this information to make me four springs that will give me a BETTER RIDE then what I got from Gabriel.
I have spent enough money as it is for a $ h ! t t y ride so why would I want to put another $1,000 plus more in. My next step will be a Bone Yard for used OEM springs on OEM struts, this will be cheaper then the $1,000 job.

Old 02-04-2021, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by babcock9er
Shipo. Not looking for OEM parts, that's why I went with aftermarket complete setup (pkg of 4) strut assembly kit was $429.00 + shipping. Like I said above the Dealer wont give me the "spec's" on how they were made so I could have a Spring Company use this information to make me four springs that will give me a BETTER RIDE then what I got from Gabriel.
I have spent enough money as it is for a $ h ! t t y ride so why would I want to put another $1,000 plus more in. My next step will be a Bone Yard for used OEM springs on OEM struts, this will be cheaper then the $1,000 job.
Did you see my more recent post?

Old 02-04-2021, 01:59 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by shipo
I just checked RockAuto; KYB does show different part numbers for the front and rear strut assemblies for the I4 and V6 models.
Not looking to spend another $400.00 + again for complete setups from RockAuto, and just 4 springs alone is $50 to $88ea. another $200 to $400. Think I'll go the Bone Yard way. Cutting the coils was just a thought for Not spending gobs of money again.

Quick Reply: Questions on Coil Springs.