General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accord no start dash lights p and d4

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 08:05 PM
Default Accord no start dash lights p and d4

I have been looking everywhere in different forums tring to figure out why my girls accord will not start. Heres a little run down on what happened. The car (96 Honda Accord lx auto) was overheating and I changed some stuff out (radiator, termostat, and a hose) which i think is irrelevant to the problem im having. When I turn the key to turn the car on all there is is a clicking noise. The cars dash would light up while the car is in park, the park light and the D4 light would light up for only a couple seconds while all the other lights come on. Well im thinking that the car thinks that its in D4 instead of park and the D4 light isnt blinking just lighting up for a second just like if you put the car in drive and turn the key. The car turned on fine and then all of a sudden the car dosent turn on. I took out one of the fuses for ecu under the hood and the d4 light didnt light up but the car wouldnt obviously start without the ecu. So im clueless on whats going on.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator

Try to start the car again. If that D4 light stays on, I would check for engine and transmission codes.

In the DIY section there is a thread called how to check CEL codes. Use the paperclip test for the 94/95. Count the check engine light flashes and the D4 light flashes.

Let us know which light flashed which code.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator

PA- I hope you don't mind, I read this a bit different, of course you know I have trouble with that....reading....

Ride- So you turn the key to on/pos II-not start just on. The ABS, CEL and D4 should come on for a few seconds and then go off, do they?

Then if you try to start the car, what happens?

Old 06-19-2011, 03:41 PM

Yea they come on and then turn off but then when you go to turn the car over it just clicks like if you were to put the car in drive and try to turn it on. When you take the ecu fuse out the d4 light dosent come on. I took the ecu out from under the passanger side carpet and looked inside and nothing looked burnt or fried so im lost on this.

Old 06-19-2011, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator

The ECU and TCU can detect problems with various sensors and store a code specific to the problem. The ECU does this when the check engine light turns on while driving, and the TCU does this by the D4 light turning on or flashing.

You need to check the codes to figure out what the computers detected.

Read this thread on how to check codes, then post the codes on here.

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...l-codes-35962/

Old 06-19-2011, 05:04 PM

Ok problem solved, wierdest thing. The car was stolen before and who ever stole it cut a wire so I guess to hotwire the car. Well that wire came lose because whoever fixed the wire did a bad job and now the car starts. I was about to go insane tring to fix this thing but I guess cut wires from people who still cars inst on the top of the troubleshooting list. Thanks for the help