General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Agh! Problem after problem after problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 06:32 PM
Default Agh! Problem after problem after problem

this time it was mostly my fault. I left my car parked outside the house during the storm last night. Since the street we live on NEVER gets/got flooded, I decided that nothing would happen to my car. Then today, when I was going to work, I got in and saw my car had a lot of water and when i tried to turn it on, it wouldnt start. I went and immediately told my uncle, who helped me take out most of the water. So, now im back from work and im super sad and afraid that my car isnt fixable.
When I tried to start it up, my uncle put starter fluid and it would turn on for like 2 seconds and then die. Everything else works fine like the windshield wipers and the electric locks. My uncle told me to leave the windows and hood open until the mechanic can come take a look at it tomorow. I just want an opinion if my car is fixable. Btw: I only have liability insurance here in texas...

Old 04-28-2009, 06:59 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Yes, it's probably fixable.

A lot of moisture can sometimes cause parts that are on their way out to finally fail.

Old 04-29-2009, 06:26 AM

*sigh* i got almost all the water out from the car. just have to get it to turn on. we'll try again today after work. i really dont want to spend more on the car than i have to so i guess getting it fixed as soon as possible is a must
btw... when i lifted the carpet on the passenger side, i think i saw what looks like a drain plug? do these cars have drain plugs? i dont want to touch it unless i know what it is...

Old 04-29-2009, 08:46 AM
Super Moderator

Peel back the carpet on the passenger side floorboard and see if the ECU got underwater.
Also if all the carpets got wet you might want to take the seats out and raise the carpet up to blow air under it with fans to stop mold and mildew.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:35 AM

turns out the ecu got soaked and even got mud inside of it. so now i have to replace that but the mechanic knows somewhere i can get it for cheap ^^. now my only problem is the carpet that is starting to stink i would leave the windows down but we never know when its going to rain so i think i should do what you said and air it out.