General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Air Conditioning problems on 91 Accord

Old 07-14-2006, 04:16 PM
Default Air Conditioning problems on 91 Accord

I am having a few problems with my A/C system.

I had been running fine on the R-12 for a while, but it quit putting out cold air and started making a whining noise at high RPM.... So, I bought one of the conversion kits to R134 and did that....worked fine for a while. This was more of a summer desperation thing as it is 95-100 degrees here I need my AC. I am sure there is a leak and will be working on finding it.

This is the problem I am having. First, the compressor is never quiet anymore at all. Second, I got in the car yesterday and started it and realized it needed to run in the house and get something. Left car running. I came back out and heard the compressor click on and the engine almost died. Compressor then clicked off. When the A/C switch is on it continued doing this for a while. Had to go to work, did the same at lunch too. Belt is fine, compressor turns...I figure the load on the engine is too much or something. After work later in the evening the A/C worked fine and blew cold with the exception of the whine I spoke of earlier. Worked the same this morning. Low side pressure is about 40PSI

So, what do I need to do to get this fixed correctly? I may have done an incorrect procedure on the conversion or something....it was a fairly cheap kit made by interdynamics. I want to get this fixed without having to replace a ton of components and spend a fortune. Have I made the problem worse? I don't have a problem taking it to a professional and paying as long as it is not going to break the bank but would prefer to do more simple repairs myself. I also am planning on taking a 6-hour drive trip on the 28th, need the AC at least working by then, doesn't have to be perfect but I don't want to damage any components any more than I may have. Anyone have any suggestions or help??

Thanks!

Old 07-14-2006, 10:36 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Air Conditioning problems on 91 Accord

noisey compressor usually means lack of sufficient oil. here is what you do. Evacuate the system and place on a vaccum for at leat 4 preferrably 8-12 hours to remove as much of the stuff that you can.

Also it would not hurt to remove the compressor and flush it out with a cleaning solvent that is compatable with r134a. replace all o-rings (if applicable), the receiver dryer (disscant) and then recharge the system to 90% capacity with r134a and proper oil.

That should take care of the problems if nothing is damaged.

My guess is that the compressor is toast and that you will most likely have to replace it. after removing old compressor, flush the system, replace the receiver dryer and o-rins (might not hurt to replace the rubber lines as well due to age), install oil into compressor, recharge to 90% r12 capacity along with remaining oil and you will be good to go.

Old 07-14-2006, 10:55 PM

I have been planning to do that procedure this weekend. A few more questions:

1. Any experience with the venturi-type air powered vacuums?? I have read a little bit on them, from what I have seen they can work quite well if you have the air power, which they are rated at about 4.5SCFM, my compressor is rated at 7.3@90psi.

2. Or, do you know of a place I can rent/loan a proper vacuum for a reasonable fee? This is a really bad time to shell out the cash for one.

3. The evacuation....does it need to be drained into some type of container?

Thanks for your help so far, I am hoping I can get it working now with the current compressor....I would prefer to tackle the compressor replacement later when it isn't so hot out.....being that I have little experience with AC items, it will probably take me a little while and it is pretty hot outside.

Old 07-15-2006, 12:20 PM

Anyone that has replaced the compressor.....do you really have to remove the power steering pump AND the alternator?? That is what the factory service manual says. I know you have to remove the PS belt to replace the alternator/compressor belt, but I really don't plan on doing that as the belt is fairly new.

Old 07-15-2006, 12:22 PM

I had to in my 96 accord.

Old 07-15-2006, 02:29 PM

ORIGINAL: YeuEmMaiMai

noisey compressor usually means lack of sufficient oil. here is what you do. Evacuate the system and place on a vaccum for at leat 4 preferrably 8-12 hours to remove as much of the stuff that you can.

LOL, if if there's anything left after 4 hours it aint coming out. 8-12 hours is just wasting your time. Unless the system has been open for several days or more, 30 minutes should be fine.

Old 07-15-2006, 02:31 PM

ORIGINAL: fireballer44

Anyone that has replaced the compressor.....do you really have to remove the power steering pump AND the alternator??
You can drop the front beam down a bit and sneak it out that way.

Old 07-15-2006, 04:06 PM

Ok, I have the vacuum....it is down and been running for a good while. It will hold the vacuum after it is disconnected.

Here is the new problem: the compressor will not come on in order to recharge. I have hooked everything up just as I have read and per the instructions....but it won't charge. If anyone can help let me know, I am trying to work on it right now.

Old 07-15-2006, 04:29 PM

ORIGINAL: fireballer44

Here is the new problem: the compressor will not come on in order to recharge. I have hooked everything up just as I have read and per the instructions....but it won't charge. If anyone can help let me know, I am trying to work on it right now.
How much refrigerant have you put in the system so far?

Old 07-15-2006, 04:37 PM

I really don't know....it is hooked up to the first can as we speak.......doesn't seem to do anything. Should I just be patient and wait?? There is still refrigerant in the can. What should the pressure be??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Air Conditioning problems on 91 Accord