General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Air Conditioning Sour Odor

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 01:35 AM
Default Air Conditioning Sour Odor

Does anybody have any suggestions?

You can only detect the smell when you set the AC on minimum, not full blast....

Thanks

Old 04-19-2009, 01:42 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Most likely mold in the A/C evaporator tray in the dash because of a clogged drain line. It would be tricky to clean out, most just spray disinfectant through the air intake near the windshield wipers to kill off mold and bacteria. It doesn't completely solve the problem though.

Old 04-19-2009, 08:46 AM

shoot chlorox clean-up into the interior filter opening in the glove box.

Old 04-19-2009, 01:26 PM

Most likely mold in the A/C evaporator tray in the dash because of a clogged drain line. It would be tricky to clean out, most just spray disinfectant through the air intake near the windshield wipers to kill off mold and bacteria. It doesn't completely solve the problem though.
Air intake near the windshield wipers???
Is that where there are 2 tabs (1 on the driver & 1 on the passenger) in front of the windshield?

shoot chlorox clean-up into the interior filter opening in the glove box.
do you mean the air filter cabin?

Old 04-19-2009, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by dragonle87
Air intake near the windshield wipers???
Is that where there are 2 tabs (1 on the driver & 1 on the passenger) in front of the windshield?

Directly under your wiper are two vents,ridged with lines. Spray the disinfectant through there as well as through the cabin air filter..located behind the glove box.

Old 04-19-2009, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by dragonle87
No, it's where the A/C cabin filters are located, you have to take the glove box out (6 screws) after removing the lower dash panel (3 screws). It's kind of tricky to do.

Originally Posted by cjdm98
Directly under your wiper are two vents,ridged with lines. Spray the disinfectant through there as well as through the cabin air filter..located behind the glove box.
I think that's where it is, but I'm not sure. I'd think water would get sucked into the air system.

Old 04-19-2009, 02:55 PM

Very good point, but i also believe there is a valve to prevent that,similar when to when you have your A/C to central air,rather than outside air..In retrospect that's where the outside air travels through.If im not mistaken.

Old 04-20-2009, 12:04 AM

I see....man I just replace me air filter cabin...now I gotta take it out again

It doesn't matter any kind of disinfectant? Such as for cuts & bruises or what not?

& do I need to turn on the A/C when spraying the disinfectant?

Thanks

Old 04-20-2009, 12:18 AM

Lysol, or Clorox or even generic disinfectant will be fine..And yes in order for everything to circulate,a/c should be on max..and set to outside air,rather central.

Old 04-20-2009, 03:22 AM
Super Moderator

Although the cabin air filter should prevent this from happening, the drain tube for the evaporator could be clogged.

Condensation from the condenser would sit in the evaporator and turn into moldy water as it sits causing the smell problems.

You should check the drain hose for the a/c evaporator is free of debris. Use a pipe cleaner or a straightened metal hanger to remove anything blocking that tube.

Quick Reply: Air Conditioning Sour Odor