General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Air filter change

Old 08-11-2011, 07:12 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Air filter change

Hi everyone. I was wondering if anyone knows how to change the air filter on a Honda Accord 2007 V6 Hybrid? There's this video on how to change 07 accords here but its for V4's. My engine design is quite different. If you notice, all he had to do was push the cover up and back. I tried doing that with mine it wouldn't detach (the left bottom 2 screws). I fear that there's cables that are attached to the cover (on the bottom, not top) that's preventing me to change it.

Here are some photos:

http://bit.ly/n5otkW
http://db.tt/gt1pQwH
http://db.tt/kiFnQcU

Any ideas on what I should do?

Last edited by Deviatorz; 08-11-2011 at 07:16 PM.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator

Were you able to remove all four screws?

Old 08-11-2011, 08:10 PM

your going to want to take off the bolts around the air box, and loosen the hose clamp. the box will lift up and pull out of the hose.

Old 08-12-2011, 06:35 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Were you able to remove all four screws?
Yes I removed those 4 screws. In the pictures provided I didn't this was after attempting to remove the cover. I might upload another picture of the cover lifted half way.

Originally Posted by Tek310
your going to want to take off the bolts around the air box, and loosen the hose clamp. the box will lift up and pull out of the hose.
Bolts as in the four screws? Yea I did removed those. I'm having trouble detaching the left side of the cover. I should've taken a picture. I will very soon. As for the hose clamp, are you sure that is causing the problem? In the youtube video he left hose on and lifted the cover? I'll give it a shot anyways, it couldn't hurt. I'll report back.

Last edited by Deviatorz; 08-12-2011 at 06:40 AM.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:09 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Are you sure something is holding it down? Doesn't sound right, sounds too complicated. It should just be the four bolts as other people said and just lift.

I find that you don't really need to remove the top cover unless you want to inspect it or the inside of the filter box. Just a quick swap of the filter can be done by pulling the top cover up a bit but not too much. The intake hose usually has a bend that allows you to move it up and bend it out of the way but just don't move it up excessively, you might break it.

If you're afraid of that it would just be better to loosen the hose clamp like Tek said and pull the top cover out of the intake tube, it's easy as pie anyway. Just make sure you remember where the bolt on the clamp is before you start loosening it so you know the proper tightness to tighten it too after you're done. In my case it's usually marked by rust.

Old 08-12-2011, 05:17 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by MessAround
Are you sure something is holding it down? Doesn't sound right, sounds too complicated. It should just be the four bolts as other people said and just lift.

I find that you don't really need to remove the top cover unless you want to inspect it or the inside of the filter box. Just a quick swap of the filter can be done by pulling the top cover up a bit but not too much. The intake hose usually has a bend that allows you to move it up and bend it out of the way but just don't move it up excessively, you might break it.

If you're afraid of that it would just be better to loosen the hose clamp like Tek said and pull the top cover out of the intake tube, it's easy as pie anyway. Just make sure you remember where the bolt on the clamp is before you start loosening it so you know the proper tightness to tighten it too after you're done. In my case it's usually marked by rust.
I believe the issue is here:

http://db.tt/0P5PDU3

The area where I marked it red, you can see 3 cables bundled together. Beneath those cables is my forth bolt. The teal area I marked shows that all the cables are strapped together by a wiring harness to the side of the cover (no joke). Those cables are stiff so when I tried to lift, the cables prevent me from opening I believe. I can only open half the cover as shown here:

http://db.tt/0P5PDU3

I can't remove the air filter because the opening is not big enough for it to fit through. My mechanic failed to change my air filter as last and, he marked it as passed (I have a feeling I know why...). Now its long over due for a change.

For the intake tube, from my previous photos you can see that its quite short (unlike the V4's). It seems that if I want to remove the intake, I have disconnect everything and fully remove it.

Old 08-12-2011, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator
Old 08-13-2011, 06:43 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks for the help. I saw the PDF and I think "B" is pointing to the cover for the air filter? I decided to put a tiny bit more force on my cover. Also, I used leverage to remove the air filter (not the housing) and it popped out. I didn't use excessive force, only smart about it to pivot out the air filter. I didn't have to cut the strap on the cable off like the OP did in that post. Here's my air filter:

http://db.tt/1kC2YHa

You might not see if but there's a blob of crap on it (its oily too). Time to pop in my new filter =). This reminds me, I gotta get a cabin air filter as well =/. Thanks for the help.