General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Air/heat/vent air will not blow through middle vents

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 10:44 AM
Default Air/heat/vent air will not blow through middle vents

Here's the newest problem with the money pit. When I was driving it the other day, i found that neither AC, heat, nor Vent air will blow through the middle vents. No, the vents are not closed, nor can they even close. Where do I start? Besides entering this car into a demolition derby.

Old 02-17-2008, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Air/heat/vent air will not blow through middle vents

I know this test works for 02 and up, not sure about yours though;

http://img183.imageshack.us/my.php?i...modetstgy1.gif

Old 02-17-2008, 02:21 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

sounds to me like the stepper motor thing (not sure what its called) that controls the valve to open/close the vents went out. on each side of the center console there is this wierd thing that controls the valve, but its very hard to describe. ill try my best. It basically has this white "disk" almost, with may grooves cut in it. there are pins that are mechanically connected to the vent valves that sit in these grooves. there is a motor that spins the white "disk", moving the pins around and opening/closing the valves. when you hit the button to change where the air comes out, the white disk should move. there is one of these devices on both sides of the center console. one sets where the air comes out, and the other sets the temperature. i think the drivers side 'disk' controls where the air comes out, but dont quote me on it. go under the dash, and look for the aforementioned white "disk". its really the only thing on the side of the center console besides a bunch of black boxes. anyway, once you spot it, hit the buttons that change where the air comes out. the white disk should move. if not, thats most likely whats broken. that, or the actual switches on the dash. if it moves, its something else within the hvac unit.

Old 02-17-2008, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I have found that I won't get center vent air unless I switch first to upper&lower mixed outlet which will have center vent air, and then back to upper vents only. At that point the center vents will begin to blow air. I'm not sure if this is a problem or normal behavior. It's been like that for some time.

good luck

Old 02-17-2008, 03:14 PM

Thanks guys. I'll try checking all of those things out. I was hoping no one would tell me it was the blower motor! I heard that is a royal PITA to change out. My dad has done it on a carbefore and he said he will never do it again.