General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alignment problem after hitting a curb

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 08:13 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Alignment problem after hitting a curb

Hello,
I really need some advice on this and thanks so much in advance.
I hit a curb (an island on the center of a 2-way street) earlier on the driver side, and the accident damaged the front and rear tires on the driver side. After replacing the tires and had a 4-wheel alignment, the steering wheel is off the centre and leans to the left. The car is also pulling to the left significantly at higher speed.
Apparently something has been bent but it can't be seen visually. I feel very uncomfortable and unsafe driving at high speed with the leaning problem, and a 4-wheel alignment won't improve the conditions.
I would want to know what the possible components are possibly damaged after the impact on the curb, hence resulting in these steering wheel off the centre and pulling-to-the-left problems.
After talking to the technician performing the alignment, he mentioned that one possible part is the Upper Control Arm. He mentioned that the only way to find out is to start replacing parts till the problem goes away!
Can I please have some inputs?

03 Accord Coupe v6, Automatic

Last edited by atom1; 10-28-2013 at 08:16 PM.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:52 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

You should post the alignments numbers. This will help determine what is the problem.

A non-centered steering wheel is not necessarily a result of the accident, but a result of poor procedure used by alignment tech. He adjusted toe-in from one side to obtain acceptable toe-in, insteady of adjusting both sides w/ steering wheel centered. This is a common problem.

Wheel itself could be damaged causing alignment problems. Lower control arm or frame connection points may have been moved.

good luck

Old 10-30-2013, 08:02 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks!
I replaced the pair of tires and a ball joint after the impact. I took the car to 2 different auto shops and had them to do the alignment. Both shop were able to do the alignment but after it was done, the steering wheel was off the centre leaning to the left.
It made me feel uncomfortable so I asked the technician to bring the steering wheel back closer to the center at the expense of the alignment.
Everything happened only after the accident. You mentioned it could be the lower control arm, but I was wondering why the upper control arm was not a problem? Is it worth to start replacing parts till the steering problem is corrected?
Thanks again!