General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Alternator belt loose, can't adjust alternator

Old 03-25-2011, 11:05 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Alternator belt loose, can't adjust alternator

Ok, so I just got finished doing my timing belt and water pump and I just put the alternator belt back on and it seems way ltoo loose. I'm not sure how this happened b/c I can't even get the dang on alternator to budge so its in the exact same place when I took it off! I took out the main bolt at the top and 2 adjuster bolts underneath and the thing still wont move so Im not sure how Im going to adjust it. Even hit it up from underneath with a hammer and screwdriver and it wouldnt move.

Any suggestions on how I can get this thing to move? If I ever need to replace it Im in trouble.

Last edited by aking; 03-25-2011 at 12:15 PM.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator

What car??

Old 03-25-2011, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

You're probably missing the lock nut that prevents the adjustment mechanism from accidentally moving. It's buried under the alternator on the support bracket and can be a challenge to see, much less access.

I've had success w/ a dog-leg closed end wrench (12mm socket size) or a 1/4" ratch w/ 1/4x3/8" adapter to use a 12mmx3/8 socket. The adapter allows a slight, necessary extension of the socket. Belt is in the way but can't be removed until alternator is slacked.

I'm puzzled how you manage to remove the belt to remove the crankshaft pulley.

good luck

Old 03-25-2011, 06:40 PM
Administrator
Question

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
You're probably missing the lock nut that prevents the adjustment mechanism from accidentally moving. It's buried under the alternator on the support bracket and can be a challenge to see, much less access.

I've had success w/ a dog-leg closed end wrench (12mm socket size) or a 1/4" ratch w/ 1/4x3/8" adapter to use a 12mmx3/8 socket. The adapter allows a slight, necessary extension of the socket. Belt is in the way but can't be removed until alternator is slacked.

good luck
Makes me wonder how he did that also.Tex.Honda ??

Old 03-26-2011, 07:39 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by JimBlake
What car??
93 accord

Old 03-26-2011, 07:44 AM
Newest Of Newbies

good luck
So there's another 12mm bolt down there besides the 2 10mm I already took out? No wonder. I cut the belt to get it off.

Old 03-26-2011, 09:22 AM

It's a 12mm (socket size) nut. Only need to loosen. It should not be a problem w/ the belt out of the way.

good luck

Old 03-26-2011, 12:35 PM
Newest Of Newbies

It's a 12mm (socket size) nut. Only need to loosen. It should not be a problem w/ the belt out of the way.

good luck
The only bolts I see are the 2 bolts underneath and they are 10mm, long adjustment bolt and the shorter bracket bolt and bracket. I have those of those out already and the big bolt up top. Am I missing something?

Old 03-26-2011, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator

Not sure if this pic is clear. Look almost 180 deg away from the one bolt that went into the alt (not the adjuster, the other one). I'm thinking the other is the "long thru" bolt that needs to be loosened, don't need to remove. Once you loosen the thru bolt it should move.

Attached Thumbnails Alternator belt loose, can't adjust alternator-93-alt.jpg  

Last edited by poorman212; 03-26-2011 at 01:12 PM. Reason: spelling, what is new.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:57 PM

I have a pdf image of the mounting that shows in detail the three retainers that hold the alternator, adjustment bolt, lock nut, and pivot bolt. PM your email address.

good luck

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Alternator belt loose, can't adjust alternator