General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

another air conditioning ??

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 12:42 AM
Thunderhead
Unregistered
Default another air conditioning ??

My wife was sitting in a drive thru line and the engine stalled. Cranked back up with no apparent problems. The next day she calls me and states the car is running hot. I carried it to a mechanic and he replaced the fan (drivers side) He stated the air con. quit when he was working on it. He stated it was full of freon. His Honda mechanic quit during all this and he told me he couldnt fix the air. What can I check? I have checked the fuses and switched relays around. Should the wire going to the compressor have power going to it?? Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 07-21-2006, 01:06 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: another air conditioning ??

need more specific information. is the engine running hot now or is it the a/c?

Old 07-21-2006, 01:09 AM

yeah we'll need some symptoms to help you out. Does the compressor kick in at all?

Old 07-21-2006, 04:49 AM

Yo Thunder.......Welcome to Haf.............
I would like you to start by telling us the year and model so we can help you better.............actually input it in your signature so it will be there for all of us to see ,,

different year and models have components located in different places

Old 07-21-2006, 06:24 PM
Thunderhead
Unregistered

Ok, car has never ran hot again. Compressor does not kick on at all (acts like you never have turned it on). 95 honda 4cyl. accord. I thought I put it in my sig. but guess not. What should I check first?? Fans do not come on if you turn the a/c on. I thought one was supposed to??

Old 07-21-2006, 07:35 PM

Is the compressor clutch wire getting 12 volts?

Old 07-21-2006, 08:37 PM
Thunderhead
Unregistered

I just ran out and put a test light (is a test light sufficient) on it (red wire with a grey dot) and it showed no power. And yes I did remember to turn on the ac switch inside. Keep em coming..

Old 07-22-2006, 02:47 AM

you probably sprung a leak and now the pressure is low enough that the compressor wont turn on. there is a pressure switch that monitors the pressure. try recharging the system with some freon that has dye in it. because if that is your problem, then its leaking out somewhere.

if you are low enough that the system isnt turning on, then it is going to take about 11 oz to turn it on. just turn the switch on to full blast, then start charging it, you should notice the system turn on after quite a bit has been sprayed in there. the pressure may show much higher on the guage before the system turns on, dont be alarmed.

Old 07-22-2006, 07:58 PM

ORIGINAL: lightshow

you probably sprung a leak and now the pressure is low enough that the compressor wont turn on. there is a pressure switch that monitors the pressure. try recharging the system with some freon that has dye in it. because if that is your problem, then its leaking out somewhere.

if you are low enough that the system isnt turning on, then it is going to take about 11 oz to turn it on. just turn the switch on to full blast, then start charging it, you should notice the system turn on after quite a bit has been sprayed in there. the pressure may show much higher on the guage before the system turns on, dont be alarmed.

what light says it is the first step of the elimination process.....like he says by jumping the 2 wires together at pressure switch and compressor kicks us , system most likely is low on freon, but according to you ,, mechanic said that system was full ,,,,,,,,,,,if by jumping those 2 wires compressor still does not come on,,,

do these tests with car running , a/c ON

there are 2 wires at pressure switch blue/red and blue/yellow,, unplug them both , give it ground to the blue/red first ,, if system DOES NOT come on the problem is upstream ,, ECM, clutch relay , wiring ,

if system COMES ON the problem is downstream , pressure switch, thermostatic switch, fan switch, wiring

next chk for ground at blue/yellow..

,, if no ground problem could be with thermostatic switch, fan switch or wiring ..

if there is ground at the blue/yellow, plug both wires back in,, chk to see if you get ground at blue/red....if not you got a bad pressure switch

you said you checked the fuses.........under dash fuse # 8 , 7.5 amps..........underhood fuse # 34,, 20 amps ..

let us know the results..

Old 07-22-2006, 11:49 PM
Thunderhead
Unregistered

Wheres the pressure switch located? When you say check for ground ...do you mean apply a ground wire to it? Or ??

Quick Reply: another air conditioning ??