General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another brake light switch problem.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 12:48 AM
greaser
Unregistered
Default Another brake light switch problem.

I got a 93 Accord, stock, and the other day the horn started beeping when the brake pedal was pushed. The brake lights stopped working and it wouldn't come out of park. I changed the brake light switch and that didn't help. I did notice however that when I push the horn button that it doesn't sound as as it normally would.....not a full buzz as you would expect. It is the same when the brake pedal is pressed, not a full horn buzz.

Also when I press the horn button it sounds like the relay under the dash is actuating rapidly. My next thing to try is to replace this relay, but if that not it then I'm lost.

Any help wopuld be greatly appreciated as my alterbative is to drive my 98 Chevy Z71 to work and its 100 miles round trip. Can't afford to do that for too long these days.

Old 08-22-2005, 12:57 AM
greaser
Unregistered
Default RE: Another brake light switch problem.

Wow the replies are overwhelming.......I guess I've stumped everyone.

Old 08-23-2005, 01:33 AM
Administrator

Greaser..

Stumped is the word..but here is one answer...
Take two cold ones and think about that tomorrow...[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

I will look into this a little for you...

WheelBrokerAng

Old 08-23-2005, 05:09 PM

I don't know what it might be but I would like to add don't just change parts and you are guessing it might fix the problem because that can cost you a lot of money. Mayebe you can have someone look at it, and if it's something easy you can do it yourself and just pay them for looking at the car.

Old 08-24-2005, 12:01 AM
greaser
Unregistered

Ok.....a little bit of an update. I disconnected the wire that runs from the switch to the brake lights (in several places) and ran a new wire from the switch to the brake lights. No more horn beeping. Yeah!

Now the bad news. The shifter soleonoid wouldn't actuate and still couldn't get the car out of park. So I removed the mechanism that locks the shifter. Now I can drive the car and the everything that needs to work, actually works.

I may go back and fix the shifter lock, but I have a question. I assumed that the solenoid is 12V. When I realized that it wasn't working after running the new brake light wire, I did some more testing and tried to actuate the the soleonoid by running a 12v line to the solenoid and couldn't get it to move. I don't know if it was bad or if it was me not making a good enough connection to actuate it.

Is the solenoid controlled by the computer or strictly voltage from the switch?