General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Anyone use "no leak" or "stop Leak" engine liquid sealers to stop engine leaks?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 10:33 AM
Default Anyone use "no leak" or "stop Leak" engine liquid sealers to stop engine leaks?

Hi Everyone, I'm new here.
I just bought a 94 accord ex and it seems to have a minor leak from the oil pan. The car has 153K miles on it. I dont think the car will last too long but hope to get at least 250K miles out of it. If i leave the car parked overnight the driveway will have a small puddle maybe the size of a quarter. I dont want to spend anymore money to fix minor things since i just spent a lil over 1K on brakes, new tires, tranny fluid change and other small things. I saw they have "stop leak" engine sealers, was wondering if it is worth trying and if anyone tried it with good results?

Old 09-28-2007, 10:36 AM
Default RE: Anyone use "no leak" or "stop Leak" engine liquid sealers to stop engine leaks?

I've tried some before with little success.
Have you had the timing belt, water pump, and seals changed?
Sounds to me like it could be a leaky seal.
If the timing belt has not been changed before, it really needs to be done ASAP (should be changed every 90k miles on your car)

Old 09-28-2007, 11:21 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Anyone use "no leak" or "stop Leak" engine liquid sealers to stop engine leaks?

DO NOT use that crap......where is the leak exactly at ?? pan gasket ?? oil pan plug ?? oil pan cracked ??

in our DIY section there are write ups on how to replace oil pan gasket and or pan,, and how to fix leaking oil pan plugs

Old 09-28-2007, 12:08 PM

I also recently purchased a 64 EX Accord. There was an old tech bulletin about an oil seal on the front of the motor (behind the timing belt) which needs a keeper intalled. Mine had never been done, the 2nd week I had the car it sprung a leak. I replaced all the seals (with one keeper), TB, etc and all is fine, no oil usage at all.
So...verify your oil leak is in fact the pan gasket, if it is replace that gasket.

Old 09-28-2007, 12:29 PM

Make sure that it's not something as simple as someone leaving the washer off the oil pan drain plug, or a loose oil filter. Verify where the leak is coming from you may be able to fix it for about the same cost as a tube of that junk. Stay away from it, it can plug vital holes and channels in the engine and prevent the oil from flowing properly.

Old 09-28-2007, 12:34 PM

I have no idea when the last time the Timing belt was changed but i am thinking around 80 or 90K. I plan to do it next year when it reached 160- 170K miles. I was thinking of picking up some of that Lucas lube stuff and see if it helps. The leak doesnt bother me too much. Also how would I get that lucas stuff in the tranny? I have an AUTO tranny.. I would assume down the dip stick hole?

Old 09-28-2007, 01:32 PM

Haha...I used stuff like that before I had this forum for advice....on one of my older cars. It never really did anything. Waste of $
Why do you want to put stuff in the transmission? Is it leaking too? I wouldn't add anything to the trans except genuine Honda ATF throught the dipstick hole. if you want to do a trans fluid change, you need to drain the old, add new, drive around for a few minutes, and repeat the same process 2 more times. When you drain the trans fluid only 1/3 of the fluid drains out.

Old 09-28-2007, 02:05 PM

I'm a bit confused.... you were talking about an oil leak but now you mention tranny lube? Multiple issues or a mis-type somewhere? Are you leaking oil or tranny fluid?