General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Approaching 200K whats next?

Old 11-29-2013, 12:16 AM
Lightbulb Approaching 200K whats next?

Okay so Specs 1998 Honda Accord Ex 4 Speed A/T. The mileage is nearing 200,000. i love my car and take care of it at every possible moment. ive replaced the EGR valve, oil every 3,000 miles, air filters when ever needed, im replacing the fuel filter because i am unsure of what the previous owner did in terms of maintenance. i've driven it for roughly 20,000 miles and other than tires and A/T fluid drains that's about all i've done in terms of working on it, cv joints i swapped out on(they were clicking) the strut towers i replaced. so Again i ask what should i be doing in terms of maintenance once i go over the 200,000 mile mark because i want to see this car go even farther.

Things done:
  1. EGR valve
  2. CV joints
  3. fuel filter
  4. spark plugs
  5. all filters
  6. sway bar links
  7. valve cover gasket
sorry first time posting i feel like i have to be thorough
so if anyone can tell me what they did in terms of replacing next i would certainly appreciate some info, thank you.

Old 11-29-2013, 06:43 AM

• Timing & balance belts and tensioner
  • Adjust/replace accessory belts
  • Adjust intake and exhaust valves
  • Inspect/replace ignition components (coil, spark plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor)
  • Inspect fuel lines
  • Inspect suspension components
  • Inspect parking brake adjustments.
  • Inspect brake hoses and lines (including ABS).
  • Check all fluid levels, condition of fluids, and check for leaks.
  • Inspect cooling system hoses and connections.
  • Inspect exhaust system.
  • Inspect fuel lines and connections.
  • Check all lights.
  • Inspect the underbody for rust

Old 11-29-2013, 07:33 AM
Almost A Senior Member

You actually have a lot more going on than I do. I bought at 122,000 and had the TB service/valve adjustment at the dealer at 134,000. I don't think that they replaced the TB tensioner though and there slight bearing squeal when it starts up that I can't tell if it is from the tensioner, or from the AC clutch idler. Other stuff was ABS sensor (front), Rear wheel bearing and upper ball joint. The bushings in the front are starting to squeak.
Over the summer I needed to replace the flex pipe, the entire remainder of the exhaust system is original! You can't beat that.
Regarding the transmission, I have been having the dealer drain and fill ever 18 months, which equals about every 22,000 miles. 79$ for dealer service is cheap insurance.
My car sees easy miles though, I commute 45 miles highway R/T and it's really flat here. Summer temps didn't get to 90 degrees.

Old 11-29-2013, 10:48 PM

Thanks guys no worries on inspection i do it every weekend, but for sure i should replace the tensioner and do a timing belt replacement, i've already done the valve clearance adjustment. minnesota is a bitch on my car so i fear for it in the winter, because it has trouble starting in the winter, i would just hate to see her go. plus its my only pass time in college working on it is the only enjoyment, and ive swapped in new parts so im glad somebody came up with things i should be watching for. Thanks guys.

Old 11-29-2013, 10:57 PM
Super Moderator

If your Accord is a 4 cylinder, you might want to pick up a balancer shaft seal retainer when you're in there changing the timing and balancer belt. See this thread and this link:

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...t-48592/page2/

Bernard's Blog: Honda Balance Shaft Seal Pop Out

Old 11-29-2013, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by redbull-1
If your Accord is a 4 cylinder, you might want to pick up a balancer shaft seal retainer when you're in there changing the timing and balancer belt. See this thread and this link:

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...t-48592/page2/

Bernard's Blog: Honda Balance Shaft Seal Pop Out
yeah i will definatley pick up that retainer plate from honda when i work on the timing belt thanks man

Old 11-30-2013, 07:14 AM

Might want to look into swapping out the water pump while your in there doing the T-Belts. If it hasn't already been replaced it would be a good time to do it.

Old 12-02-2013, 09:52 PM

my accord 98 too is 208,000. No signs of any problem now except for bad compressor that needs servicing for the a/c to work fully. 2 months ago i changed the solenoid A2 to enable the auto transmission to shift smoothly from gear 1 to 2. I changed the ATF every 6-8 months since the mileage is high. Fuel consumption is good