Go Back   Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums > General > General Tech Help
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to the Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-28-2011, 07:15 PM

Default ATF-Z1 Question

I've a question....Honda ATF-Z1 is quite pricey & wonder if there are any other ATF out there that exceeds or meets ATF-Z1 requirements?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Honda Accord Forum!
Old 08-28-2011, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator

Honda ATF-DW1. It essentially replaced Z1 and is synthetic.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:16 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull-1 View Post
Honda ATF-DW1. It essentially replaced Z1 and is synthetic.
Yep, I found that out today. Carquest actually carriers Honda ATF-DW1 (they used to carry Z1). I think I paid $7.71 a quart, which is not that cheap but still cheaper then dealers near me. Their price for Z1 was a bit more competitive.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:29 PM

What about Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle? it meet the requirements for ATF-Z1...
This is for a 2002 Honda CRV
Old 08-31-2011, 02:26 AM
Almost A Senior Member

I've heard rumors here and there that Castol Import would work or that Amsoil ATF would work.

People said they noticed improved shifting and then others said the improved shifting was likely the transmission working differently which would lead to wear and damage.

So I think the only safe course is to go with Honda, period. Everything else is mired in bitter arguments.

Then with Honda there's an argument about whether DW-1 is backwards compatible with Z1. I haven't found an answer so far although some people say Honda said so while others say there is no service bulletin.

It's just that where I live it's a god damn stealership. They charge $10.00 for a bottle of PS fluid I bought for $3.00 at an RI dealership online. They overcharge EVERYTHING. The ATF-Z1 is also $10.00 for a bottle that costs roughly $6.00 online. I can never go to my local dealership because they'll gouge me no matter what. This made me consider alternative ATF because I didn't want to buy online and pay shipping nor did I want to go stealership route but I don't think I have a choice but to go Honda so I'll have to buy a case online or something.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessAround View Post
I've heard rumors here and there that Castol Import would work or that Amsoil ATF would work.

People said they noticed improved shifting and then others said the improved shifting was likely the transmission working differently which would lead to wear and damage.

So I think the only safe course is to go with Honda, period. Everything else is mired in bitter arguments.

Then with Honda there's an argument about whether DW-1 is backwards compatible with Z1. I haven't found an answer so far although some people say Honda said so while others say there is no service bulletin.

It's just that where I live it's a god damn stealership. They charge $10.00 for a bottle of PS fluid I bought for $3.00 at an RI dealership online. They overcharge EVERYTHING. The ATF-Z1 is also $10.00 for a bottle that costs roughly $6.00 online. I can never go to my local dealership because they'll gouge me no matter what. This made me consider alternative ATF because I didn't want to buy online and pay shipping nor did I want to go stealership route but I don't think I have a choice but to go Honda so I'll have to buy a case online or something.
Where did you get ATF-Z1?
Old 08-31-2011, 10:07 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Check eBay sellers. I bought a case of 12 quarts (since this car never had the fluid changed I have to do it more than once). It came out to roughly $70.00 of which $50.00 was the cost for the actual fluid, not shipping.

If you divide 12 quarts amongst the total $70.00 it comes out to about $5.83 a quart.

On eBay I found that DW-1 was not as cheap, less quarts for more than $70.00. Since the whole issue with DW-1 and Z1 is dicey, I went with the Z1 because it's guaranteed to work where as the DW-1 is dicey.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessAround View Post
Check eBay sellers. I bought a case of 12 quarts (since this car never had the fluid changed I have to do it more than once). It came out to roughly $70.00 of which $50.00 was the cost for the actual fluid, not shipping.

If you divide 12 quarts amongst the total $70.00 it comes out to about $5.83 a quart.

On eBay I found that DW-1 was not as cheap, less quarts for more than $70.00. Since the whole issue with DW-1 and Z1 is dicey, I went with the Z1 because it's guaranteed to work where as the DW-1 is dicey.
i figure it would be on ebay lol
Thought there was a dedicated Honda online part that would sell it for a cheaper price.
hmmm....dealer or ebay lol
I guess whatever works
Old 08-31-2011, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator
1993 Honda Accord

from personal experience Honda ATF ONLY! I know it's pricy but you don't have to do drain and fills all that often.

Old 08-31-2011, 06:47 PM

Tags
accord, atf, atfdw1, bay, cheap, dw, dw1, free, green, honda, online, requirements, sale, shipping, z1