General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad bad bad MPG

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 09:59 AM
Default Bad bad bad MPG

Hello fellow Accord drivers!

I have a 1997 Accord EX-R 2.2L VTEC AT with 130000 km on it, and here is the problem. On city driving (which I do 100%) I get a miserabe 14 MPG, I would consider that to be very low wouldnt you?

I have no idea what could it be, went to some garage where for 700 dollars (FYI I Live in PERU) they offered me to reprogram the ECU (I said NO of course... until I find more info).

Tha Car has had regular maintenance, last problem it had was about 6 months ago where the auto transmission seemed to disengage, but after a 1000 dollar job I got it fixed.

The car has been in the family for over 11 years (it used to belong to my dad, and he gave it to me about 2 years ago). Historically, the car was never too good at MPG, but now as gas prices are so high, and money is short...

The car has absolutely no cold starting problems, idles fine, drives fine, no check engine light ever on!

Im planning on doing a full tune up on the local Honda delaer (take a deep breath), hoping that they may find something, do you think I should tell them to have them clean the injectors, sensors, whatever? Should there be something to keep a eye open for?

Many thanks and have a wonderful Christmas!

G76

1997 Accord EX-R 2.2L VTEC AT

Old 12-23-2012, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator

This type of situation occasionally shows up on any number of web forums, bad fuel economy, no codes or other engine symptoms. While I am not a fan of "throwing parts at a problem", in this case simply replacing the Oxygen Sensors often cures the problem.

Old 12-23-2012, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Agree w/ Shipo's advice, but would also suggest a careful inspection of the fuel rail to fuel injector oring seals, fuel tank, and fuel lines (corrosion leaks).

Also check the Fuel Pressure Regulator (FPR) diaphragm by pulling the vacuum reference line and sniffing vacuum line end. If you smell fuel, the FPR diaphragm is ruptured and unmetered fuel will be pulled into the engine.

Further check is the Long Term Fuel Trim (LTFT) w/ OBD2 scanner. This type of low fuel mileage should be indicated by high negative fuel trim as ECM attempts to achieve ideal fuel mixture by reducing fuel injector fuel flow. A near zero LTFT would also indicate the problem is leaking fuel, since engine is not seeing excess fuel in the exhaust stream.

good luck

Old 12-23-2012, 02:53 PM

Hi guys, thank you for a prompt reply!

Will ask the dealer about the cost of the 02 sensors! Hope theyre not that expensive, any reference to where I could get a good deal on them?

About the OBD2 port, I was just looking on ebay for those cheap ELM327 scanners, but I have not been able to find the port! It is not behind the ashtray, nor does it seem to be under the driver dash (below steering wheel), any thoughts where else it might be? If I find it I would most surely by one of these scanners off ebay!

Texashonda, any diagram you could point me to where I can see where is the vacuum reference line?

Best regards,
G76

Old 12-23-2012, 06:36 PM

Check ebay, rockauto, and amazon for a denso direct-fit O2 sensor. Should be around $50-$70. Easy install.

I thought OBD2 connector was on driver's side beneath dash.

Save your money on the cheap scanners. You're better off w/ purpose built unit and paying a bit more.

FPR is on the fuel rail (connects to each injector) and is a circular piece about 2" diameter w/ a single vacuum line attached. Hard to miss.

good luck

Old 12-24-2012, 11:21 AM
Almost A Senior Member

My 95 doesn't have a normal obd2 its all weird shaped and I can't find a adapter to fit my reader so I have to jump it with a paper clip for any codes. And its under the passenger side dash wired way up in there. Its blue. Idk if they make a adapter to make it a normal obd2 plug or what....and I'm not a big fan of throw parts at a problem but I'd try a tune up and o2 sensor and Maby a egr valve/port clean. On these years if the ports are clogged it wont throw a code. These are all thing that are pretty much maintance so its not like its a big waste

Old 12-24-2012, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator

I'm pretty sure your 1995 is an OBD-I system (which obviously predates OBD-II).

Old 12-27-2012, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator

1995 V6 Accord was OBD-2, one year ahead of schedule. 1995 4-cyl was OBD-1

Guilio is in Peru, so I don't know if his car is OBD-anything, since that's a USA EPA requirement. Honda made them OBD-2 in many countries, but maybe not everywhere.

Old 12-28-2012, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JimBlake
1995 V6 Accord was OBD-2, one year ahead of schedule. 1995 4-cyl was OBD-1

Guilio is in Peru, so I don't know if his car is OBD-anything, since that's a USA EPA requirement. Honda made them OBD-2 in many countries, but maybe not everywhere.
Honda released OBD-II in the 1995 model year for the V6 motors? Cool; I didn't know that.

Regarding the whole OBD thing; I was working for Mercedes-Benz (when I was in Montvale) and Daimler-Benz (when I was in Stuttgart) during that era, and as I understand it, all of the manufacturers which adopted the OBD-I and OBD-II standards for the U.S. phased in that system world wide. By 1995 OBD-I was pretty much a globally accepted standard, and the only new cars available which didn't use OBD were cars not sold in the U.S. or Europe; you know, cars like the Tatas (bodacious or not) from India.

Old 12-28-2012, 10:54 AM

See DIY forum for procedure for extracting OBD1 codes.

good luck

Quick Reply: Bad bad bad MPG