General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad distributor?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 10:41 PM
nodough
Unregistered
Default Bad distributor?

I was driving home a few weeks ago and was stopped by a red light. When I tried to accelerate my car it simply quit as if I turned it off. There was no sputter or jumps or noises of any kind. Every since then it hasn't started. I pulled out a spark plug to see if there was any spark but there was none. I have replaced the main relay fuse beneath the dash, the spark plugs and the distributor cap but nothing has worked. Do these symptoms sound like a bad distributor or a bad ignition fuse?

Old 08-14-2008, 11:03 PM
Default RE: Bad distributor?

did you check the battery? does the igniton come on? does the engine crank? did you check the rotor/wires?

Old 08-14-2008, 11:11 PM
nodough
Unregistered

When I try to jump start it sounds as if it's going to turn over but never does. Without jumping it the car sounds very weak. I have changed the spark plug wires as well but nothing seems to be working.

Old 08-14-2008, 11:24 PM

if it was a bad igniton fuse it wouldnt try and start at all (crank) i believe. distrib is possible maybe even the coil. if its weak w/o a jump the battery maybe weak. but it would still start. you can test the coil but be very careful. you can detach the coil lead from the distrib cap and put it about 1/2 inch from the engine metal and have someone crank the engine . put a lot of protection between you and the coil wire and efinitely not with your bare hands use thick rubber coated tools and even gloves. i believe you can find the same instructions on autozones repair guide for your car online

Old 08-14-2008, 11:32 PM
nodough
Unregistered

How can I tell which one is the lead coil? And I am looking for spark right? If there is no spark then it is most likely the distributor?

Old 08-14-2008, 11:39 PM

there should be 5 wires attached to the distib cap. 4 going to spark plugs one to the coil. you want the coil wire the 5th wire and detach it from the distrib cap to test.

Old 08-14-2008, 11:40 PM

if you do this be very careful. you dont want to get hit by the coil.

Old 08-14-2008, 11:42 PM

also dont crank but just long enough to see a spark or not you do not want to flood your cylinders

Old 08-14-2008, 11:57 PM
nodough
Unregistered

My distributor cap only has four wires.

Old 08-15-2008, 01:16 AM
Super Moderator

Since you mentioned that the car is weak without jumper cables, make sure that both battery cables are clean and secure at all ends. You might want to pull the battery and have it tested at autozone or oreillys.

Since there is no spark, the ignition control module, the coil, or the ignition switch are likely culprits. Your car must be an EX with an internal coil. Use a thin paper clip to jump the service connector to see if the ECU has any codes stored. Follow the instructions here http://www.dhost.info/accordinfo/howto/cel.html You two-pin connector is brown. Post any codes that you find.

To test the ignition switch, pull the two pin connector going to the distributor. Turn the key to the II position. Test for 12V from the yel/blk wire to ground.

Quick Reply: Bad distributor?