General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

bad ignition switch or starter....??

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 10:03 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default bad ignition switch or starter....??

Alright imma start off by saying i dont know much about fixing cars but i will to explain the best i can.

No prior issues till the other day. Started my car fine the other morning for school, it drove fine didnt die. When i was leaving i tried to start the car and nothing..all lightz came on inside and out although the warning lights and stuff did dim a little when i turned the key but the car never would even try to crank all i could hear was a clicking noise which im guessing was the starter. I had someone try to junp the car, didnt work same result, bought a brand new battery still nothing till about 5 tries later after doing nothing special it started. Drove home fine but then i turned it off and now it wont start again. This time after 3 or 4 times of trying to start the car all the lights go very dim untill they dont come on at all, when i disconnect the battery cables for a few seconds then hook them back up it gives me enough power to try a few times to start it but them he battery is drained...like i said i dont know enough about cars to really troubleshoot but after research i can only lean towards starter or ignition.

Any ideas would be helpful. Its a 96 accord 4cyl auto.

Im supposed to be making a trip the end of the month to see family and this is my only means to get there.

Old 11-24-2011, 12:42 AM
Super Moderator

If you have a volt meter, check that you get 12V to the small wire going to the starter when you try to start it. You will need someone to help you.

The next test would be "the caveman test". Hit the starter with the end of a screwdriver with light/medium force while your assistant tries to start the car near the end of the electrical connectors for the starter. If the starter works, then the contacts inside the starter are likely worn out.

Old 11-24-2011, 09:15 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Red face

Ok this may sound silly where exacty is the starter. Ive heardlike 3 different things from people lol. And how difficult is it to replace. I cant afford to take it to a shop so im going to attempt to fix it myself

Old 11-24-2011, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator

Go to the common diy thread on top of this forum and open the online shop manuals link. The links in the thread will have a 94 shop manual that you can download. That manual will be almost identical to your 96.

The starter is towards the front of the car in the engine bay. It mounts between the engine and the transmission. It is closer to the ground. Just follow the positive battery cable, because it connects directly to the starter.

Old 11-24-2011, 10:47 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Thank you. I will see what i can get accomplished..

And happy thanksgiving

Old 11-24-2011, 01:35 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thank you. I will see what i can get accomplished..

And happy thanksgiving

Old 11-27-2011, 01:56 PM
Newest Of Newbies

okay so heres the update. I couldnt get a hold of a volt meter so i tried the easy stuff first. All cables looked good except for a ground wire going to bottom of the engine, replaced that and got new battery terminals. jumped the car and it stared no problem, infact i drove it several times untill yesterday. I went to thew gas station and as i was going to start the car to leave nothing. no interior or exterior lights, no clicking under the hood just silence. I had someone jump it and still didsnt do anything. So i had the car towed and took out the starter took it to auto zone and they said the starter was good. Everyone up there is stumped. Ive checked all the fuses under the hood and they are all good. So im at the alternator now. But im stuck i have 2 of the 3 bolts out buut cant find the last one. I doubt it has anything to do with the alternator but im eliminating. any suggestions???

Old 11-27-2011, 02:25 PM

Ok let's see first you gotta have a DMM and a 12V test lite and a FSM. Now I have seen 96 accords with bad ing. switch but you gotta check it do you have power in and out on the corecet wires? next the starter may have bad contacts in it It may check out on bench but not work on car What is battery voltage when at rest? what is it when trying to crank moter? Is thare a clicking sound when trying to crank? post this and we can go from thare good luck

Old 11-27-2011, 02:34 PM
Newest Of Newbies

the car does nothing when i try to start it. I use to hear a click when it first wouldnt crank now i dont get anything.

also i dont have any meters of any sort. This is the first time ive ever worked on a car to this extent (im usually just doing brakes or an oil change)

I can take the battery to auto zone and have them test it. Although I just bought it thursday so it shouldnt be a bad battery already.

Old 11-27-2011, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator

Totally with joe here......bad battery or bad connection, unless you can test the voltage AT the battery when the no start condition is present...but you had it tested so we are back to the first two?

Quick Reply: bad ignition switch or starter....??