General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

bad ignition switch or starter....??

Old 11-27-2011, 04:07 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Just got back from auto zone. Battery came back as good. 100% charged. I didnt get to try to start the car today so see if anything happenes the rain decided to show up and will be here till tuesday and i dint have a garage to work in so im stalled for a few days..

Im stumped on why i have no lights or clicking sound now. Especually that i know the battery is good.

Anyone live in cincy wanna come.take a look at it haha.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:36 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by jesandrw
also i dont have any meters of any sort.
Buy one. This one's $5 at Harbor Freight:

Old 11-28-2011, 09:33 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I will see if I can get one.

Old 11-28-2011, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator

haven't gone out on a limb lately, check the under hood fuses? Mainly the higher amp ones with the "clear window" on the top......

Old 11-29-2011, 08:08 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I did check all fuses, several times they are all good. Im heading out today to pick up a meter. Its stopped the 3 days of rain here so hopefully I can get back to messing with the car. I will let you guys know what the result of the starter wire is later on today.

Old 12-03-2011, 02:30 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Alright guys so im sad to report i have had to resort to taking.the car to a shop to get fixed. I finally get a day off from everything.and i arrive at my moms house onky to find that every single tool gad been stolen out of the trunk, right down to the bag of nuts and bolts. This includes the volt meter just bought a few days ago...

Pissed off is not even the word to describe me at this point. However when i hear something back from the shop i will still repost a conclusiin and what fuxed ut.

Thanks for everyones help!!

Old 12-06-2011, 09:19 AM
Newest Of Newbies

so the results are in. Had nothing to do with alternator, startery battery or a bad connection.

there was an oil leak in the valve cover gasket from where the person who had owned the car before put too much silicone which resyulted in a crappy seal. The oil filled the holes where the spark plugs are located, which made them go bad and eventually got to the distributor and fried that which was what was shorting out and not letting the car start.

since i have no clue on how to fix it it, i have to somehow come up with 900.00..merry christmas me..not

and i have wheel bearings going bad in the passanger front, and a tie rod end about to break on the same side, sigh

Thanks to everyone for the help, I really appreciate it!!!!

Old 12-06-2011, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator

The valve cover gasket and upper/lower seals are not bad to replace. The distributor is not too bad to replace either.

There are two ericthecarguy videos that cover this. We can provide more details if you want to DIY this. It will be much less expensive.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator

Walk..nevermind, RUN away from there. IF that is the issue, for ~$200 (which includes buying new tools since they were stolen)...you can replace this....ok may be ~$250 if it is a DX or LX-since they have the lower seals on the spark plug tubes......The EX -vtec - in this gen only have one set of tube seals

Old 12-08-2011, 09:48 AM
Newest Of Newbies

well i did run away, I took it to a family friend who owns a shop and he is charging me 90 bucks but is gonna basicly let me do with the work with his guidance and im going to be buying the parts. the distributor is the most expensive thing at 160 (i guess because of the external coil??)

i dont think i have the patience to mess with it at this point lol. its taken all of my kids christmas money. I am however going to try and do the tie rod and the bearings myself, going to u-pull-& pay today.

after this i better not have any problems with this da** thing for a long time.

once again thanks everyone for the help!