General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Big front brake conversion

Old 10-17-2016, 01:11 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Big front brake conversion

Hey hows it going guys Dan here 95 accord coupe EX 2.2 AT. I plan on swapping over to 98 CL knuckles (Rotor Over Hub conversion). Im considering swapping over to the 11in vtec 95 prelude rotors. Id also like to swap to dual piston 95 acura legend GS calipers. Ive spent hours reading forums and googling stuff and I am still left with questions that maybe someone with experience in doing a big brake swap or is more cultured with honda terms can answer as I am a GM mechanic and this is my first honda.

Which vehicles does a 23T caliper bracket come on? (preferably honda)

Will 23T caliper bracket work with 11in vtec 95 prelude rotors and dual piston 95 legend GS calipers?

The inconclusive researched ive gathered from various forums:
Half of the forums say this setup wont work half of them do

Some posts said when the outer pad gets low its at risk of falling out due to a larger gap between the rotor and caliper bracket from bigger/ upgraded components and the caliper piston could potentially over-extend itself and come out of the bore. Users suggested to either use a 25T bracket (V6 accord bracket?) and some suggested 28T bracket that comes with the legend caliper to avoid this issue, other posters said theyre never had this issue.

Another minor concern voiced was that the GS Legend rim size is 16 in and the accord has 15 in rims.

If my research is correct that the setup will work without issue ive priced it at $140.

Ive combed this entire forum and then some and have yet to find a thread of this magnitude. The most ambitious thread found and closest in comparison was hondafreak91c putting 05 RL calipers on his 96 and that was 3 years ago. https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...e-37932/page6/

Im trying to document some concrete information for those interested in this setup and perhaps a potential sticky thread.

Fabricators/ Tinkerers with experience and knowledge please chime in

Please stay on topic guys

Thanks for reading

Old 10-24-2016, 02:17 PM
Newest Of Newbies

kinda disappointed no one has anything to say guess the thread is too ambitious

Old 10-24-2016, 04:47 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I was looking into doing that swap to my 97 Accord, when I found a 99 Accord cheap enough. I decided I'm keeping the 99, and am going to sell the 97. For me this will be the easier way to go, as I actually like the 98 to 2002 body style better (was looking for 1 when I bought the 97).
To be honest though, I have no idea on whether your swap is too ambitious or not. You might want to check the parts you need with a list of parts/numbers on Honda parts now.com. If I was doing the swap, I'd be searching part numbers, and see what bits and pieces I'd need to do the swap.

Old 10-24-2016, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator

It all depends on how far you want to go.

The knuckles from a few different Honda's will fit in there.....do you want 5 lug wheels, use the 6th gen Accord knuckles.

There are rotor over hub swaps.....there are "wagon" swaps....I'd have to think as there might be a few more.

Please note I'm not starting anything or defending anything, just there are several different ways to go about this.....or be happy with what came on it OE.

"Trans" - I got you PM and responded, so the idea is not lost.

Old 10-24-2016, 09:46 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I can easily do the hub swap with no problems and im keeping the 4 lugs my questions in this thread just generally involve upgrading the front calipers and rotors. I received your message too poor thanks, keep me posted -Dan