General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Block Cracked?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 12:45 PM
Default Block Cracked?

I have a 2002 Accord, 2.3 litre 5 speed standard, 202,000 miles. The rad and coolant resevoir are full of motor oil. There is no coolant in the oil just oil in the coolant.

My mechanic believes the block is cracked. If the block was cracked wouldn't there be coolant in the oil? I can't see the contimination being one was as it is with a cracked block.

The car is a standard transmission so there is no transmission oil cooler in the rad as far as I know.

Any ideas as to what it may be? I like the car and don't want to buy another one just yet. If I have to replace the engine, I will.

Thanks

Old 07-22-2010, 01:10 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

If you are for sure it is motor oil in the coolant I would suggest you pull the cylinder head and see if the head gasket blew. Did your Accord overheat?

Old 07-22-2010, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by kris_loehr
If you are for sure it is motor oil in the coolant I would suggest you pull the cylinder head and see if the head gasket blew. Did your Accord overheat?

Nope, the car hasn't overheated. I drive it about 95 miles round trip everyday. No overheating. It operates fine. It's a frustrating thing. One suggestion that one of my co-workers made was to drive it about 1/4 mile and check the oil to see if there is any indication of coolant. Since my driving tends to be long distance his theory is that if coolant was getting into the oil then it may be evaporating before it emulsifies in the oil.

Old 07-22-2010, 05:16 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

It is hard to picture a car with oil in the coolant and no issues. Are you sure it isn’t rust which could look milky in the overflow bottle. Can you post a photo?

Old 07-23-2010, 07:35 AM

The problem was discovered when a spot formed on the ground under the front of the car. The resevoir was full of oil. I took the car to my mechanic to have a look. His response was that the block was probably cracked. I reminded him that the car had an oil issue about 2 years ago when it all of a sudden started using oil. We decided to flush the entire cooling system to determine how fast the oil would reappear. Rick flushed the system twice with water then a third time with a chemical flush then again with water. Filled the system again with antifreeze. Within 2 weeks the resevoir was full of oil again.

I'll try to post a picture later.

Thanks for your input.