General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Light Switch.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 11:47 AM
Default Brake Light Switch.

I want to purchase a new brake light switch because I believe mine currently does not have cruise control. Just wondering what would be the better buy ACDelco - Stop Light Switch - Part #E867C for $18 or Beck/Arnley - Brake Light Switch - Part 201-1780 for $30?

Old 03-16-2012, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Ac-Delco at lower price is way to go.

Are your brake lights working? If yes, then changing brake light switch won't help cruise control.

good luck

Old 03-16-2012, 01:12 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Why do you think you need a new brake switch?

If your brake lights are working (and I really hope they are cause anyone who drives without them working needs to be publicly flogged) then changing it will not fix your CC.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:20 PM

lol...well my brake light switch is working, but I was going to change it because awhile back my gears stopped working and I had to put in a new brake light switch. Which I did and that fixed my problem with my gears, but it also stopped my cruise control from working. It was my understanding that the brake light switch also control cruise control and I figured they must have installed one w/out it...no?

Old 03-16-2012, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

The brake light switch has a pair of contacts (in my 94 Accord manual) that are inputs to the cruise unit. One is closed and one open normally, and they reverse when brake pedal pressed. It is conceivable they installed a switch not made for your car that would cause the problem you have but this seems unlikely.

If you plan to DiY, suggest purchasing a manual for your vehicle. Ebay seller automanualsource has a e-manual of original Honda manual for your vehicle for $21.99 that will provide diagnostics to determine your problem.

regards

Old 03-16-2012, 03:45 PM

Yeah I have the Haynes Manual already... I will look into it.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:04 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
The brake light switch has a pair of contacts (in my 94 Accord manual) that are inputs to the cruise unit. One is closed and one open normally, and they reverse when brake pedal pressed. It is conceivable they installed a switch not made for your car that would cause the problem you have but this seems unlikely.
Yes, there are two contacts in this gen as well. IF the switch was replaced, it is possible that it is not adjusted properly.....meaning that it is NOT closing off all the way when the pedal it released, thus the cruise will not work. Especailly since it was replaced and this is when the cruise stopped working, I'm betting it needs adjustment.

Attached Thumbnails Brake Light Switch.-6th-gen-brake-switch-test.jpg  
Old 03-18-2012, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by poorman212
Yes, there are two contacts in this gen as well. IF the switch was replaced, it is possible that it is not adjusted properly.....meaning that it is NOT closing off all the way when the pedal it released, thus the cruise will not work. Especailly since it was replaced and this is when the cruise stopped working, I'm betting it needs adjustment.
I'm going to be honest i'm not quite sure how to use the multimeter tester, but this is what i did...i put the red stick in 1 and the black stick in 4...i got nothing...when i pressed on the brake and put it in 2 and 3 (relatively) I got some crazy number. so then i switched it and put the black in 1 and the red in 4 and pressed on the break and it gave me a negative number. I'm confused

Old 03-18-2012, 08:01 AM
Super Moderator

You want to test continuity/resistance, one the meter there should be a setting for this. In this setting, the meter will read something like 1 (open), then touch the two leads of the meter together and the number should go to zero (or close to it).

What brand/modle meter do you have, I might be able to find a users manual online and be able to help give better directions.

Or, I haven't gone off the cliff lately tape a penny to the "pad" the plunger makes contact with, see if the cruise works.....this could confirm if the switch needs adjustment. PLEASE only do this as a TEST!

Old 03-18-2012, 08:53 AM

oh ok...i just googled it and i had it on the right settings...just like in my previous post I got some crazy number, then nothing happened it stayed at one, then when i switched them i got some negative number....i'll do it again just to verify though...

also idk if it matter, but my cruise control button will turn green, but I don't get the green light in the dash...

Quick Reply: Brake Light Switch.