Go Back   Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums > General > General Tech Help
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to the Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-22-2012, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Default Brake Light Switch Rubber Stop Replacement

Help needed from anyone who's replaced the rubber grommet that depresses the brake light switch fully. Mine has broken and fallen out allowing brake light to stay on full time. I noticed this evening and pulled brake light fuse (20A Under Hood Fuse box).

I will pick up the grommet from Honda tomorrow.

I took a quick peek at the brake light switch. It is very difficult to see/access behind the steering column. I'm hoping I can depress brake pedal and push the grommet into the braket (on brake pedal) w/o too much trouble. Anyone accomplished this job w/ tips?

Regards
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Honda Accord Forum!
2006 Acura TSX
Old 05-22-2012, 08:31 PM
Super Moderator

This link shows for a CRX; but, it is the exact same part #. You could even tape a penny or two there right now.

Brake lights stay on...how I fixed them - Honda-Tech
Old 05-22-2012, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator

TX/Redbull- You pretty much have it IMO. Done this on the 95 and a few of my 3rd gens. Push the pedal, place the new "plug" into the hole, give it a push....should be done. Of course you know the drill, check the lights and the cruise function and done...10 minutes, maybe?

Yes, I've used a bolt or a penny as a temp fix until I could get the plug from the dealer.....was late to work that day as I had to recharge the battery

Again both of you know I'm a small guy so getting under there is not an issue for me....now as old as I'm getting, the pain the next day sucks

My child arrived just the other day, he came to the world in the usual way

Heaven is in the palm of my hand and it is waiting here for you, what I am I suppose to do with a childhood tragedy

Last edited by poorman212; 05-22-2012 at 08:49 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:00 PM

Thanks for the info. I did this on an Acura 2.5TL and had to bleed the brake to get the pedal to move far enough away from the switch to allow access. I'm hoping that's not the case here.

Regards
2006 Acura TSX
Old 05-22-2012, 09:09 PM
Super Moderator

I didn't have to on my 95 ??? Now if you need a bit more room, start the car so the pedal goes down a bit more......or should I say further without more effort. One hand-head-shoulder (it is tight down there) on the pedal, the other hand pushes the "plug" into place

My child arrived just the other day, he came to the world in the usual way

Heaven is in the palm of my hand and it is waiting here for you, what I am I suppose to do with a childhood tragedy
Old 05-22-2012, 09:22 PM
Super Moderator
2005 Acura TSX

Search this on YouTube: v=Nuj9o6YdO8A

It is a video on a 93 Acura Legend. It may help.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:44 PM

Thanks for the input. I picked up the part this afternoon and installed w/i 5 mins. I did have to start the car to be able to depress the brake pedal enough for installation space, but that's it.

My dear wife drove the car today and I drove her 06 Acura TSX. She called me at the office to complain the gear shift on this POS would not move. I explained that you had to close brake switch to enable shifting and since fuse was pulled this was not possible. Honda (of necessity I'm sure) provided a bypass release around the shift lock. She was mollified when it worked.

Regards
2006 Acura TSX
Old 09-14-2012, 02:18 PM

In my 1999 Honda Accord EX, the same 'brake pedal plug broke'. I replaced it. The back lights work good but the cruise control still does not. Any Idea why?

Thanks for your help.. in advance!!!
Old 09-14-2012, 06:07 PM

Check whether brake lights are On all the time. If yes, the brake light switch or new bumper plug is likely reason.

good luck
2006 Acura TSX
Old 09-14-2012, 06:07 PM

Tags
2000, accord, brake, button, check, coming, honda, light, piece, replace, rubber, stop, stopper, stops, switch