General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Brake lights stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 01:56 AM
Honda2000
Unregistered
Default Brake lights stopped working

I got a 2000 Honda Accord EX V6. The corner brake lights stopped working recently for some unknown reason. The brake light in the rear spoiler is the only one that works. I checked all the fuses and replaced all the bulbs. but the problem remains. The other lights, headlights, turn signals, hazard lights, etc work just fine. The "brake light" warning light in the dash panel is off. I checked all the cables around the lights and nothing is lose or unplugged.

Other than the brake lights not working, the car is running fine. Any ideas what could be causing the corner brake lights not to work?

Old 09-20-2007, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: Brake lights stopped working

There is a switch on the brake pedal arm that closes when brake is pressed. I've seen thebrake switchstick in the open position and result is exactly problem you have. Look under the dash and find the switch, usually near top end of pedal arm. Spray the switch w/ a liberal dose of WD40 or similar spray lubricant and "exercise" the switch by pressing the brake pedal till you see switch move outward (it's spring loaded) as you depress the brake pedal. If switch refuses to move you'll need to replace, which may be tricky depending on access.

I developed the above repair scheme when my 97 Acura 2.5 TL brake switch froze open. WD40 cleared the problem and it's never returned.

good luck

Old 09-20-2007, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator

If the pedal switch were bad, his center brake lamp wouldn't work. Honda2000, are you sure the center one (in the spoiler) is working?

I'm thinking some broken wiring back at the trunk, possibly an open ground? I don't have a wiring drawing for 2000, so I don't know where to look for a wire that'sNOT shared with the center lamp.

Old 09-20-2007, 02:28 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

If the brake switch were broken, you wouldn't be able to shift out of park without bypassing the tranny lock (the keyhole by the shifter). If you can get it in drive, that switch is ok. Try tracing the wires toward the front of the car. Near the rear seat where the wires disappear, wiggle the core of wires a bit and see if the lights work .... I've seen wires just break where there is a bend before, but that's usually the stuff attached to the trunk lid.

Old 09-20-2007, 03:31 PM
Honda2000
Unregistered

I just double checked all the fuses and plugs and I could not find anything wrong. My rear spoiler light definitely works. Since all Hondas come with back center light, mine was disconnected when the rear spoiler was installed. I unplugged the rear spoiler light and plugged in the center light and it worked. All my lights work, including the trunk light. Most of the light bulbs for the back lights have two filaments: a big one and a little one. The little one is either for the brake lights or for the turn signals. What I don't know is why the little filament in the light bulb for the brake lights does not work even though the big one works just fine.

I think the brake light switch is working properly because I can put the car in drive. Everything works in the car, except the brake lights. Thank you for your help. I don't know what else to try.

Old 09-20-2007, 03:36 PM

Do the front blinkers work? How did you check the fuses? With a contiuity tester (multi-meter)?

Old 09-20-2007, 03:39 PM

You know the fuses are good and you know the bulbs are good (since you replaced all of them). Get a voltmeter and double check that you are in fact not getting power to the taillights when the brakes are pressed. Inspect all the ground wires around the light back there and make certain that the ground is still connected properly. If all of that checks out then I'd either get a wiring diagram and start testing for power at each location (working from the fuse back to the tail lights). OR start tracing the wire from the brake lights forward and look for breaks in the line. The easiest way to do that is find a spot in the car (under the dash) where the brake light wire is exposed enough to get an ohm meter on it, then get an extra long lead and touch it to the brake light in the rear, it should read VERY little resistance (the needle will spike) if you get a reading then you know the wire is in tact, if not then it's a broken wire. If the wire is fine it's probably a ground issue of some sort

Old 09-20-2007, 03:44 PM

SN: replaced bulbs & checked fuses.

Not possible that it could be a relay?

get a test lite and chk to see if you get voltage at the green wire and ground at the black wire at the brake lite plugs ( brake pedal depressed of course )
if you do you could have bad bulbs or a poor connection at bulb socket.

If you do not, chk driver's under dash fuse # 9 ..that fuse is for the brake lite failure sensor, if fuse is good, it could be a bad brake lite failure sensor
sensor is located on the left side of trunk by the brake lite plug , it has 5 wires going to it,,
with brake pedal depressed there should be power on the white/black, ( source) yellow, green ( green wire goes to brake plug,, ) and ground on the black wire
if there is power on the white/ black and yellow wires and no power at green wire you got a bad sensor

this is probably a little too obvious, but have you checked the bulb's socket condition to make sure good contact with the bulb or test if there's power going to it? you can probably trace it back from there.

Quick Reply: Brake lights stopped working