General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

brake lights wont work

Old 12-08-2007, 12:14 PM
isxtexas
Unregistered
Default brake lights wont work

Hello forum, I have a 2003 honda accord lx . And the brake lights wont work. I cant find the fuse for it in the owners manual. Any suggestions. The tail lights come on but not the brake lights.

Old 12-08-2007, 12:25 PM
Default RE: brake lights wont work

Do you have cruise control, does it turn off when you hit the brake pedal? It should be an underdash fuse, check them all until someone give up the correct info, I am moving and mine is packed away, sorry.

Old 12-08-2007, 12:35 PM
isxtexas
Unregistered

Hello thanks for the info. Yes the cruise control does stop when I hit the brakes. I travel far every day and use it. So if I understand you correctly there is a fuse for the brake lights under the dash somewhere. I am not sure what othe details I could give you I am not very mechanical sorry, but I do appreciate you help. Thanks,

Old 12-08-2007, 12:46 PM

If the CC kicks off then the brake light switch at the brake pedal is working, the same switch that operates the lights. Do you have a third brake light, a high mount that is? Does it not work also if you have one? Do you have an indicator in the cluster that tells you if you have a burned out tail light bulb.

Either you have a bad bulb sensor or a wiring problem, possible bad ground for both brake lights, left and right???

Old 12-08-2007, 12:52 PM

ORIGINAL: isxtexas

Hello thanks for the info. Yes the cruise control does stop when I hit the brakes. I travel far every day and use it. So if I understand you correctly there is a fuse for the brake lights under the dash somewhere. I am not sure what othe details I could give you I am not very mechanical sorry, but I do appreciate you help. Thanks,
There is an under the dash fuse box, usually it has a little cover over it that actually says "fuse" it should be on the drivers side down and to the left of the steering wheel. When you pop off the cover look at the inside of it and unless someone has tampered with it there should be a diagram that shows which fuse is which.

Old 12-08-2007, 01:12 PM
isxtexas
Unregistered

Hello, I removed the cover off the fuse box and the label is good, but none of the fuses are labeled for brake lights or anything I think is for brake lights. Can they be located somewhere else in the engine compartment etc... Can they be accidently disconnected from inside the truck ? Are the brake and the rear lights the same bulb?

Old 12-08-2007, 01:30 PM

I'm not sure on your year of car if they are the same bulb or not, there is a fuse box under the hood as well, usually located on/around the passenger side fenderwell, if you pop the trunk there may be an access panel located inside it behind the taillights that you can remove to inspect the bulbs/wiring, if you don't have one then there are a few screws to remove around the lights themselves that will allow them to come out for a visual inspection. Check the other fuse box first though.

Old 12-08-2007, 04:06 PM

the brake light fuse is fuse 13(20amp) in the underhood fuse box.

a quick check for that fuse is pressing the horn. does the horn work? if so, the fuse is good. if not, replace it. press the brake pedal. if the lights work, beep the work. if the horn works...who knows why the fuse blew? intermittent short to ground? that sucks...

i've had all 3 brake light bulbs go bad too, so check it all.

the taillights on are on a different fuse(fuse 4 underhood), so that's why they work.

Old 12-08-2007, 09:54 PM

It is possible that the brake switch at the brake pedal is actually a double switch, one for the CC and one for the brake lights, how many wires on the brake switch at the brake pedal? No matter what you have, its time to break out the volt meter.

Old 12-08-2007, 11:27 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

if the fuse is ok,, disconnect the plug at the brake switch,, get a jumper wire and jump the red to white/black , if brake lites come on , you got a bad brake switch ,

try, and let us know