General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Brake Line Bleeding HELP

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 06:09 PM
Default Brake Line Bleeding HELP

I recently changed out my front brakes and while doing so accidentially loosened where the brake line meets my driver's side caliper. Since then my brake pedal goes all the way to the floor. When I have the car off and pump the brakes pressure builds up but when I turn the car on all the pressure goes away.

My question is do I have to bleed each wheel starting with the furthest away or can I simply bleed driver's side line without doing anything to the rest of the three?

Old 06-10-2009, 09:20 PM
Administrator
Lightbulb Hello New Member

This is in the New Member area which is the wrong area, so I shall move it to it's
new forum for you...

Thank You for posting with us...

WheelBrokerAng

Old 06-10-2009, 11:34 PM

I'd try bleeding just the one line.

It really depends if air has stayed in the line or worked itself back to the master cylinder.

You really need at least one more helper to pump, while you bleed. If you are going to do this often (???), there is a hand vacuum pump that is available at many auto parts stores called a "Vacu-dine" or some like that.

If it is still spongy after this, get it to a shop and just have them bleed the entire system and replace the fluid. It's supposed to be done every 3 years anyways.

Getting out bubbles from a broken/replaced line can be done manually, but is a big pain -- and can take days --and many pints of fluid.

John
San Diego

Old 06-11-2009, 06:32 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah, the soft brakes are from air in the lines. It all depends on how long it's been in there & how the air bubbles have moved around the system. For me, I'd try just the one corner first, but that's just me.

If I were doing it for someone else's car, I'd probably want to bleed all 4 corners, just so they wouldn't have to bring it back & think I wasn't doing a good job. Especially if the fluid is more than 1 or 2 years old.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:23 AM

It's really not hard to do all 4. Just tedious since you have to remove every wheel. Definitley NOT something I would pay a shop to do when all you need is new fluid, a 10mm line wrench, a bucket for the old fluid, and a helper to pump the brake pedal.

But I too would try bleeding just the one corner first.