General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Brake Pedal goes to floor

Old 10-04-2011, 10:20 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Brake Pedal goes to floor

I have a 1984 Accord. I am losing brake fluid but do not know where. The brake pedal goes to the floor. I have checked all four wheels, no leaks at the wheel cylinders, I do not see a leak at the master cylinder.
What am I missing?

Old 10-04-2011, 10:30 PM

it could still be the master cylinder. some leaks are hidden. i have never worked on an Accord that old before but doubt master cylinder's have changed much over the years.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:33 PM

You have probably checked this but trace all the lines with your fingers. It's an 84 could be anywhere. Sorry not much help.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:11 AM

Do you also have failed-booster symptoms? E.g., hissing sound, pedal feel not changing when you start the car?

I seem to recall that it is possible for the MC to leak fluid into the booster and then have it sucked into the intake manifold. Check the inside of the booster vacuum line for fluid.

Roy

Old 10-07-2011, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator

Leaks in the 4 brake cylinders/calipers would have to leak OUT, so you'll find evidence of the leak.

Master cylinder is the only place where it can leak internally. It leaks back into the reservoir as it loses pressure. The classic description of a bad MC goes like this:
- Brakes feel nice & normal when you first apply them. Not soft.
- Pedal sinks smoothly to the floor while you're holding it, say at a red light.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

A leaking MC will also allow brakes to be "pumped up" to hold, but pedal will gradually fall as fluid leaks by piston of MC.

good luck

Old 10-07-2011, 04:52 PM

He says he is "losing" fluid. I assume that means he has been adding fluid to compensate for the loss. If that is the case, a typical MC internal piston seal leak doesn't fit.

Old 10-07-2011, 09:19 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah, that's true if he has to keep adding fluid.

A neighbor had one where it was leaking past the MC piston rod & filling up the vacuum booster. That thing can hold a lot of fluid before it starts leaking out.

Old 10-08-2011, 10:40 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Going to check the master cylinder

Thanks for the advice from all. I think that I am going to replace the master cylinder. I will report back.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator

Carefully check the length of the pushrod, old vs. new mastercylinder. If they are different, there's a procedure (using a strange proprietary tool) to adjust the pedal pushrod. Hopefully they'll be exactly the same.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake Pedal goes to floor