General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

brake pedal sinks to the floor and click/pop sound under brake pad area

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 03:00 PM
Default brake pedal sinks to the floor and click/pop sound under brake pad area

Hi,

I have Honda accord 95 4 cyl EX vtech engine 2.2L wagon, and have put on 160K miles. On very hot day, my foot brake pedal sinks to floor on stop position but it stops ok. If i release the pedal it comes back up and hard. From your forum, I guess I have faulty master cylinder which needs to be replaced.

Besides this, on the very hot day, when I apply foot brake I hear click/pop sound coming from around brake pedal area. This happens only once in a while on hot day. What is going on here? When I put my gear in Park position and apply brake pedal, I hear click sound coming from my Automic Transmision gear area. Is this normal? Any comment is appreciated.

Thanks, and have a good day!

Old 05-15-2014, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Symptoms indeed suggest fault master cylinder (MC). If brake pedal goes soft under foot pressure, MC is faulty.

Clicks could be the start interlock solenoid in the console.

good luck

Old 05-15-2014, 08:23 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Master cylinder... Just went through this 2 weeks ago. Cheap and easy fix.

Old 05-16-2014, 11:24 PM
Question

Surprisingly, my brake pedal is working normal. I have been driving around for few days with no repair. No more sinking to the floor. Maybe a little soft or sponziness. I guess I have to wait for very hot day and drive a lot to make my brake pedal sink again. But if I linger this too longer, some day my brake might fail completely? If so, I will change the brake MC, soon. Where is the best website to buy cheap OEM honda parts? my Honda dealer charges $220 for MC plus they have to order it.

Thanks, and appreciate your comment again.

Old 05-16-2014, 11:32 PM
Administrator

Look to some of our sponsors here on our pages and see what they have for you..

Old 05-17-2014, 06:29 AM

to put it bluntly, if the master cylinder fails completely and you are unable to stop the car you could wind up dying ... its your choice if you want to risk it

either the master cylinder is going out or you have a brake fluid leak are the only two real possibilities so take a look at your brake fluid level and decide what you want to do

Old 05-17-2014, 03:46 PM
Newest Of Newbies

On a warm day, never mind hot, that will start dropping again... Mine did at 65 degrees. I would replace that master cylinder asap. It's not worth the risk. Mine was intermittent just like yours. Had it replaced, now my brakes are awesome(considering I replaced all 4 rotors, pads, and calipers, and the Master cyl).

Old 05-17-2014, 03:49 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by Donda
Surprisingly, my brake pedal is working normal. I have been driving around for few days with no repair. No more sinking to the floor. Maybe a little soft or sponziness. I guess I have to wait for very hot day and drive a lot to make my brake pedal sink again. But if I linger this too longer, some day my brake might fail completely? If so, I will change the brake MC, soon. Where is the best website to buy cheap OEM honda parts? my Honda dealer charges $220 for MC plus they have to order it.

Thanks, and appreciate your comment again.
Amazon... Mine was $55 shipped. Make sure you choose the right one for ABS or NO ABS. OEM makes no difference for a master cylinder. My brother is a service manager at the Honda dealer by me, and he even said aftermarket is ok for those. Other parts not so much.