Go Back   Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums > General > General Tech Help
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to the Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-26-2011, 10:32 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Default Broke valve cover stud 92 Accord DX 2.2L

Hi
I was tightening the nuts on the valve cover of a 1992 Honda Accord DX 2.2L engine when I heard a snap instead of a nice sound from the torque wrench I was using. The stud broke! There is 1/4 to 1/8" left at the top.

After threatening to poke the wrench up Harbor Freight's a** and worrying about having to buy another engine block,etc I decided to crank up the vehicle. The stud was on the front passenger side. I did not see oil even at a high RPM. I wonder if I can drive this vehicle indefinitely if I keep an eye on the oil, if I can remove the stud with PB Blaster and Vise-Grips, or if I just need to take it to the mechanic and subject myself to his mercies?

I will NEVER buy another thing from Harbor Freight unless it is so childishly simple that it won't fail.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Honda Accord Forum!
Old 09-26-2011, 11:09 PM
Super Moderator
2005 Acura TSX

I would remove the valve cover and use a pair of vice grips to remove the bolt as long as there is enough room to use vice grips. A new bolt from the dealership has to be less than $5.

It shouldn't take too long and it is a pretty cheap repair vs having an oil leak through the grommet or the valve cover gasket.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:37 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Since the valve cover gasket and spark plug hole gaskets of course haven't received much usage could I reuse them or is it best to go with new gaskets or RTV? Also would I have to drench the bolt stub in PB Lubricant and grunt and grunt as I extricate it?
Thanks
KT
Old 09-27-2011, 12:07 AM
Super Moderator
2005 Acura TSX

You can reuse the gaskets.

If the bolt wasn't cross-threaded, then it should only take one quick turn to break the bolt loose.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:14 AM
Almost A Senior Member
1993 Honda Accord

If you can't get it to budge, use a torch on the snapped stud for a couple of seconds. The heat will transfer into the head and allow the stud to be removed. I did this on the exhaust port cover on my old Mercury 2 stroke outboard boat motor. Be very careful of where you put the flame and don't leave it on for over a few seconds.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:40 AM
Super Moderator
1993 Honda Accord

you should be fine. TQ the rest of the VC studs to spec. I ran only 3 VC nuts on my cb for long time. Until I finally decided to replace it over a year later. Your VC gasket will be fine. Just bead a little bit of honda bond around the corners and your good to go. I recommend using Honda Bond over a generic RTV. Honda Bond won't eat up OEM seals and gaskets unlike some generic RTV brands.

Old 09-27-2011, 08:29 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I found that all but a stub of the threaded portion that sticks above the valve cover remains. The rest was in the nut. I saw a smoother, thicker portion I think I can twist out. I did put some RTV sensor safe silicone on parts of the VCG so I'll have to scrape it off first. Once I get the bolt and clean up the RTV I'll be ready freddy. To the Honda place I go for 90012-PT0-000 and 90013-PT0-000 in case it's one or the other.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:29 PM

Tags
1993, 22, 92, accord, bolt, broken, cover, fix, homnda, honda, location, nut, rocker, size, stud, tight, valve