General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

broken fuel filler door release

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 12:23 AM
smiyares
Unregistered
Default broken fuel filler door release

I have a 2003 Accord LX. Today I tried to open the fuel filler door to fill my car. When I pushed the fuel door release, the fuel filler door will not open. I need to figure out if there is some other alternative way to get the fuel door open and also how to repair the problem. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-22-2008, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: broken fuel filler door release

Remove the trunk lid and fuel door opener cover and actuator mechanism to directly access the cable end. It should be a ~ 6mm round cylinder w/ cable penetrating through the cylinder. The cylinder may have separated from the cable preventing the actuator lever from releasing the fuel door. Pliers can be used to manually pull the wire and release the fuel door. If wire has separated elsewhere, you will have to force the fuel door open (damaging in process).

Repair requires replacing the entire pull cable sleeve and cable, which appears to be a substantial job requiring removal of rear seat, front/rear door sill moldings, center pillar cover trim, pull carpet back, left gusset cover and spare tire lid, left trunk side panel and rear trim panel. A shop manual will be essential if DIY. You can download a 94-97 Accord manual (diy forum). Your car is probably very similar, but could be different.

good luck

Old 06-22-2008, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: broken fuel filler door release

To help get the door open you can peel back the side trunk liner, then you will be able to see the cable where it hooks up to the latch device.
it is just clipped in place and you can squeeze the clips to pull it out. Then the fuel door can be opened.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:15 PM

I had this issue yesterday with my 2003 Accord EXL. From the advice above I was able to access the gas tank but only pulled the whole cable by hand. Tonight I bought a replacement cable (the front end was frayed and snapped next to the lever) for <$40 at the dealer. Instead of removing everything but the kitchen sink from the car to route the cable I did the following: Cut the cable just on the front of car side of the plastic box where the fuel cap and trunk wires split. Tie on the front end of the new cable to the end of this and wrap with tape (I live in the South so Duck tape it was....). Open out the lever end of the cable (1 screw and some plastic clips and a bolt) and take the plastic door sills off on the drivers side. Pull the old cable out from the front of the car assisting where necessary around the door sills. Fasten in the front end, replace the old cable in the trunk and hook it up and replace the plastic removed. Total time around 20 minutes for a mechanical incompetent. It functions and I am so pleased with myself!!!

Old 05-24-2017, 01:10 PM

before i start a new thread- Will these fixes work on my 2001 accord?

On mine it appears there's a side panel to remove. Whatever attaching clips hold that panel on- Do they just pull straight out?

tia

Rich

Old 05-24-2017, 07:39 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by Desert Boomer
before i start a new thread- Will these fixes work on my 2001 accord?

On mine it appears there's a side panel to remove. Whatever attaching clips hold that panel on- Do they just pull straight out?

tia

Rich
It's a similar set up. But yes, the clips just pull straight out according to the FSM.