General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Bypass Smart Key Dectector

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 12:37 PM
Default Bypass Smart Key Dectector

The Smart Key ignition switch is a great feature but it should also have a standard ignition switch that accepts the same key that unlocks the doors.

I keep a regular key hidden on my car in case I damage or lose my smart key. This key will get me into the car but I then have no way to start it. If there was a keyhole that accepted the metal key and enabled the push button starter, I could get home.

I also use a regular key when I am at the beach or gym to avoid damaging the smart key. I then have to leave the smart key in the car instead of leaving it safely at home.

Is there any way to bypass the system to start the car without the smart key? A hidden switch under the dash would work and be safer than leaving the smart key in the car.

Old 05-02-2016, 06:32 PM

Not exactly the solution you want, but here's what I did for those times and places I don't want to carry the smart key...

Like you, I hide a regular key on the outside of the car using a black, magnetic key box.

I hide the smart key in the trunk in a second magnetic key box. I found a spot where it blends in so well that some times even I have trouble seeing it.

When needed, use the regular key to open the trunk and grab the smart key from its hiding place. That saved me from long walks home on several occasions!

Old 05-02-2016, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Hero1318
Not exactly the solution you want, but here's what I did for those times and places I don't want to carry the smart key...

I hide the smart key in the trunk in a second magnetic key box. I found a spot where it blends in so well that some times even I have trouble seeing it.

When needed, use the regular key to open the trunk and grab the smart key from its hiding place. That saved me from long walks home on several occasions!
At least on the 2016, a fail-safe function will not allow the trunk to lock if the Smart Key is inside the trunk, nor will the doors on the car lock if the Smart Key is inside the vehicle

Old 05-02-2016, 07:45 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

You might try contacting HAmotorsports, as they offer a kit of sorts that eliminates the "immobiliser". You might have to send them your ECU though. I just saw it earlier today while looking at some other stuff, but didn't dig into it very deep. I think it was 99 bucks though. For that kind of money, another 70 dollar chipped key (that's what it cost me for an extra one for my wife's car) might be a better way to go. Although I think my son said he paid more than 180 for one for his wife's Honda Pilot.
I just think of it as extra security on a commonly stolen vehicle. Part of me wishes I could add something like that to my 97 Accord.

Old 05-02-2016, 08:22 PM

I have been living with the smart key technology on 2013 Crosstour. I solved the issues mentioned above by leaving the extra smart key in the car and hiding a metal key on the outside of the car.

All of the smart key functions worked with the main key even though the 2nd smart key was in the car. As long as the main key was close, I could lock and unlock the doors and hatch. I could also lock and unlock the car with the metal key.

The only problem was that the 2nd key in the car left the ignition permanently enabled. I tried wrapping the 2nd key in foil and keeping it in the rear of the car, but it still enabled the ignition. I could have removed the battery, but that would be asking too much of friend wife to deal with.

Old 05-02-2016, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by MikeMen
I have been living with the smart key technology on 2013 Crosstour. I solved the issues mentioned above by leaving the extra smart key in the car and hiding a metal key on the outside of the car.

All of the smart key functions worked with the main key even though the 2nd smart key was in the car. As long as the main key was close, I could lock and unlock the doors and hatch. I could also lock and unlock the car with the metal key.

The only problem was that the 2nd key in the car left the ignition permanently enabled. I tried wrapping the 2nd key in foil and keeping it in the rear of the car, but it still enabled the ignition. I could have removed the battery, but that would be asking too much of friend wife to deal with.
Since I'm not really familiar with this set up, do you mean you actually have 2 different keys (1 for the doors, and 1 for the ignition)? Or does the "smart" key do both the door locks and the ignition? And you use a "generic" key to do those jobs? I'm just trying to learn what's going on is all, as I'm not familiar with it. Is the "smart" key Plastic?

Old 05-02-2016, 08:58 PM

The Smart Keys are also called Key Fobs and there are 2 supplied with the vehicle. Each fob has a lock, unlock, and an alarm button. The fobs also allow locking and unlocking the doors when close to the car. The starting push button is enabled when the fob is inside the car.

Each fob also has a metal key that can be used to lock or unlock the doors but not to start the car. I have two additional metal keys that can open the doors - one hidden on the outside of the car in case I lose the fob. the other that I use when there is risk of damaging the fob (beach or boat).

Since these metal keys don't enable the ignition, I have to leave a fob in the car so I don't get stranded if I lose or damage the one in my pocket.

Old 05-03-2016, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by MikeMen
The Smart Keys are also called Key Fobs and there are 2 supplied with the vehicle. Each fob has a lock, unlock, and an alarm button. The fobs also allow locking and unlocking the doors when close to the car. The starting push button is enabled when the fob is inside the car.

Each fob also has a metal key that can be used to lock or unlock the doors but not to start the car. I have two additional metal keys that can open the doors - one hidden on the outside of the car in case I lose the fob. the other that I use when there is risk of damaging the fob (beach or boat).

Since these metal keys don't enable the ignition, I have to leave a fob in the car so I don't get stranded if I lose or damage the one in my pocket.
Thanks for the explaination. I guess I'm glad I've been sticking to the older vehicles, as that seems like it's more trouble than it's worth.
My dad's 2012 new beetle is a PIA, in that you have to use the key fob/key to unlock the doors (no lock cylinder in the handle), then you use a key to start the car. Well, his battery went dead, and I found that if you "pop" off the cap at the end of the handle, there's a key lock hidden under it. Otherwise, you'd have to call a locksmith to get into it. But on his car, when you unlock the car, the windows drop a half inch, so you can open the doors. Very screwed up set up, and something I really don't care for. Add in it's 400 bucks just for a replacement key. No thank you.