General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

A/C Compressor Clutch Plate Question - 03 Accord

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 12:34 PM
Default A/C Compressor Clutch Plate Question - 03 Accord

I followed a recent post suggesting that clutch gap was too wide. the posted solution recommended removing the shim (washer) behind the clutch plate. Well that worked....for about a week. Today I removed the clutch plate and discovered the rubbery ring (seal?) around the inside of the clutch plate has disintigrated, the fragments appeared to melt. I cleaned out the fragments, put the clutch plate back on and now it turns intermittently, slowly, not smooth. When I turn by hand, it's not smooth.

Guessing it got too hot and melted the ring. Now what? Will a new clutch plate remedy the problem?

Suggestions most appreciated...it's freaking HOT in Texas.

Old 07-24-2011, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Hopefully, just the rubber part that disintegrated is part of the clutch plate and something in clutch is binding. Perhaps the AC pulley bearing has failed and is causing the resistance.

If you rotate the clutch plate by hand and find stiff resistance and/or any grinding feedback, the compressor is siezing and will need to be replaced along w/ other components. The resistance is the pistons binding on the cylinder walls due to lack of lubrication. This can happen when an AC system is recharged repeatedly w/o adding lubricant which escapes w/ the lost refrigerant. If no recharging has been done, I would suspect the pulley bearing may be the problem.

It is possible to replace the clutch assembly; AC pulley and clutch plate. If you were able to access the clutch plate you should be able to remove the entire clutch assembly. There is a snap ring holding the AC pulley on that may be difficult w/ limited access.

If you decide compressor has siezed, you will need a new compresor, receiver/drier, condensor at minimum. Some recommend replacing the expansion valve and evaporator also (big job). The problem is debris is scattered when the compressor siezes and it's difficult to remove. If you don't get it all out, it will damage the new compressor.

good luck

Old 07-24-2011, 05:23 PM

Update: I pulled the clutch plate back off and cleaned out more of the rubber that appeared to have melted on to the facing....turned it by hand...now not feeling any resistance or grinding. Started back up, when I tap the hub, it will again rotate...intermittently and slowly. Low side pressure is above 150 when it's not turning, but drops to about 28 when it's "trying" to turn.

Wondering if the low pressure is part of the problem...and...whether the rubber piece serves as a seal (it's not shown as a separate part on the diagram, so I assume it's built in to the clutch plate)....and...what caused the rubber to disinigrate and melt.

Thanks so much for all the info Texas Honda.

Old 07-24-2011, 09:42 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Looks like you need a new clutch plate. You may have to buy whole compressor to get the part unless you purchase OEM ($$). Check ebay and car-part.com for a used clutch or used compressor to donate clutch.

W/ a warm engine compartment and no compressor action, low side and high side pressures will reflect underhood temps where pressure (psi) ~= air temp (degF), so 150 psi doesn't look out of place. Low side of 28 psi looks good, when compressor is turning. I think you'll be well w/ a replacement clutch.

good luck

Last edited by TexasHonda; 07-24-2011 at 09:47 PM.