General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C Heater dash lights HVAC Climate Control

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 12:43 PM
cxm475
Unregistered
Default A/C Heater dash lights HVAC Climate Control

Has anyone experienced this?

When driving with the A/C on, all of a sudden I get just hot air. I look at my AC/Heater controls and all the lights are off. I turn the blower speed **** to off and wait. About 1 to 2 minutes later, the lights come back on and I have A/C again. Anyone seen this before and know what's causing it?

Thanks

Old 10-09-2007, 12:47 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: A/C Heater dash lights HVAC

Sorry, I have the climate control system.

All I can recommend here is that you put that car info in your sgnature so more people will respond to your thread.

Sounds like an electornic control problem.

Old 10-09-2007, 03:10 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: A/C Heater dash lights HVAC Climate Control

that could be a # of things,, ( relay, switch, poor connection,pressure switch, clutch gap to big, thermostatic switch ) ... it should be properly diagnosed ,,

when a/c cuts out chk to see if there is any power at the red wire going to the compressor ,, this will tell us if problem is at compressor coil or upstream the other way,, If you do not get power at the red wire,, swap the compressor clutch relay , it is located in the underhood fuse box . also one quick thing you might do, is to remove the fuses # 58, 20 amp underhood box ,,# 3, 7.5 amps driver's fuse box, and fuse # 13, 7.5 amps passenger under dash fuse box .. twist the little tabs and reinstall them again ,, thus eliminating a possible poor connection at fuses ..

Try this and keep us posted

Now that i re-read his post again it sounds like an issue with the heater control panel loosing its ground ( lites come off ) some of the stuff i metioned above would not make the lite go off ,, try one other thing,, left side of dash above the kick panel, next to the OBD2 connector there is a ground ( g401 ) make sure that the bolt is tight and there is no corrosion,, that is the main ground for the heater control panel ..you might want to unbolt it and clean the metal below the wire and the wire ( black wire ) to make sure that they make a good contact

Old 10-09-2007, 03:45 PM
Default RE: A/C Heater dash lights HVAC Climate Control

Holy crap deserthonda!! that is a very impressive amount of knowledge for a small snipit of information, hats off to you my friend

Old 09-25-2010, 10:34 AM

Has anyone figured out a fix for this? It's driving me nuts and don't want to shell out the $320 my local dealer wants

Old 02-01-2011, 06:29 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I'm having the same issues. When I press hard on a button, the lights come back on. I think it's either a ground, or, the connections are loose where they plug into the back of the controls.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Always best to post your own thread w/ your own symptoms.

If your symptoms are same as OP, then most likely source of problem is compressor clutch gap is too large. When it heats up, the gap is too large for mag field to pull closed. When it cools down, there is just enough field strength to close the plate.

A good test when the compressor will not engage is to rap the clutch plate firmly w/ a stick (very carefully) while engine is running. If clutch plate closes and compressor turns, then excessive clutch plate gap is confirmed.

good luck

Old 02-01-2011, 08:26 PM
Super Moderator

And it's unfortunate that so many people never come back & post whether it's fixed and/or what worked.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:37 AM
Default Have not seen solution as of yet...

Hello,

I have a 2000 Accord 4-Door. I have experienced the above symptoms and have looked at the grounding bolt described above. In my case the bolt appears clear of corrosion as do the seven or eight, forgot to count , connections attached to it.

The symptoms used to be that the lights on the A/C panel would flicker then go out, eventually coming back on. As of a few days ago they stopped turning back on all together. When the lights are out so is the A/C, and I have no control over which vents are active.

Last night I noticed that the bottom row of buttons, recirculation, A/C, Defrost, were dark all together while the top row, the vent selection controls, were still backlit.

Does anyone have a pin-out guide to the molar connector on the back of the ventilation controls. I would like to troubleshoot this as far as I can and it seems a good starting place to look at the connections to the controls themselves.

Thanks,

Joe

Old 12-24-2011, 12:19 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Cool Possible resolution

Originally Posted by cxm475
Has anyone experienced this?

When driving with the A/C on, all of a sudden I get just hot air. I look at my AC/Heater controls and all the lights are off. I turn the blower speed **** to off and wait. About 1 to 2 minutes later, the lights come back on and I have A/C again. Anyone seen this before and know what's causing it?

Thanks
I had the same problem you describe. I ran an additional ground to the frame from the control...no fix. I got a used heat/AC control, installed it, and all was OK. About 11/2 weeks later, I started experiencing kind of the same thing; except now, everything lights up and works on the top row, but the bottom row does not light up. Most of the buttons will light up, and work, when the buttons are pushed. HOWEVER, the rear window defogger and front windshield control to divert all heat to defroster mode doesn't work at all.
I think I'll tear the old control apart, and see what I find.
I will repost if I gain any insight.
Drive Safe!

Quick Reply: A/C Heater dash lights HVAC Climate Control