General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

A/C working and not working

Old 03-10-2007, 11:49 AM
Default A/C working and not working

I was told by an A/C shop that my accord A/C compressor is not engaging (or engaging on and off, no leaks, plenty of freon) and need a new replacement for $455 out of the door with 1 year warranty. I dont mind paying if this is true. The A/C would come on and working fine with cool air coming out for about 7-10 minutes then NO COOL AIR coming out for about 7-10 minutes then cool air coming out again for about 7-10 minutes then no cool air. Another words the A/C would work on and off. Any idea if the A/C shop is telling the truth? I appreciate any help. Thanks

Old 03-10-2007, 01:19 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: A/C working and not working

it sounds to me that there is an electrical probem in the system ,,,,,,,,making the comressor come on and off,, i think thatif they replace the compressor they WILL STILL have the same problem ,,,,

when compressor does not engage, they need to chk for power at the compressor coil .. if no power you got an electrical problem somewhere upstream ..........if there is power,, could be a bad coil or could be a compressor clutch gap too big......But i WOULD NOT have them replace the compressor ..
take your car to a shop that specializes on Hondas or the Dealer and get their oipinion

Old 03-11-2007, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I suspect the clutch gap is theproblem based on your description. You can quickly confirm a clutch gap problem by rapping the clutch plate w/ a hefty wrench or hammer (very carefully!) when the system is not engaging. If rap immediately engages compressor, the clutch gap is too large. Fix is simple, remove clutch plate retaining nut (10mm nut usually) and remove 1 shim underneath the clutch plate to reduce clutch plate gap (usually 0.015 - 0.025-inches will work).

In many cases the clutch plate nut and clutch plate are not easily accessible, and it may be necessary to remove other components (PS, Alternator) to access the compressor.It may also be necessary to release compressor attachment bolts and rotate compressor slightly to access the clutch plate nut. In worst cases of access, you may have to discharge the system and completely remove the compressor.

good luck

Old 03-13-2007, 12:32 AM

Thanks DesertHonda / TexasHonda. I called the shop back if it's not an electrical problem and they told me that is not because there's power but the compressor is engaging. The shop is an Auto A/C shop doing nothing butAC only, name of the shop isAC Exchange. Anymore advice before I go back to talk to them? Thanks

Old 03-13-2007, 04:26 AM

ORIGINAL: sthavorn

Thanks DesertHonda / TexasHonda. I called the shop back if it's not an electrical problem and they told me that is not because there's power but the compressor is engaging. The shop is an Auto A/C shop doing nothing butAC only, name of the shop isAC Exchange. Anymore advice before I go back to talk to them? Thanks
there is power to where ?? to the compressor coil ? and compressor NOT engaging ?? is there power to the coil all the time ( red wire ) ?? even when compressor does not engage ?? if that's the case i would take a look at the clutch gap,, or it could be a bad coil ..
when fans come on, due to a/c system , and compressor does not engage, they need to chk to see if there is power at the red wire , at compressor coil,, because if it is as you say that it cools for a while and then it does not i doubt that it is a bad compressor

let us know

Old 03-13-2007, 02:11 PM

Hi, DesertHonda. Sorry to bother you again , I'm going back to have the guy diagnoses my car again if h'll say the same as you. So the power on the red wiere should be on at all times when AC button in use? No matter what when it's engaging or not? Can you only fix the clutch gap ? I thought clutch is part of compressor. I really appreciate your infos. Thanks

Old 03-13-2007, 05:15 PM

My wife's 1995 V6 has the EXACT SAME PROBLEM. I know this may sound stupid, but what does the A/C compressor look like and where would it be on a V6 engine? I don't have any experience with A/C repairs/maintenance. I want to try the suggestion TexasHonda gave. Also what does the clutch plate look like?

P.S. I am not trying to "thread steal" I justthought we (sthavorn & I)may be able to help each other.

Old 03-13-2007, 06:29 PM

Check this out. This is what it looks like. I never service any car myself but trying to understand if the shop will rip me off or not that's why I'm here.
DesertHonda or TexasHonda would be the one to help you. Thanks
http://www.discountacparts.com/viewp...artid=60-01335

Old 03-13-2007, 09:31 PM

the red wire should have power when the a/c button is on , and the relay is engaged,, when the thermostatic switch ( in the evap ) senses the temperature, it either activates or shuts off ground to the a/c relay .. when relay is shut off, red wire will not have power, when the thermo witch senses the temp in the evap getting warmer, it will energize the relay thus power will go to the red wire at compressor, engaging the compressor and making it colder,,
in other words a/c compressor cycles on and off al the time

Old 03-14-2007, 03:42 PM

Hi deserthonda, I'm going back to the shop again this weekend. I will ask them to show me the diagnostic on the red wire. If there is a power on the red wire for 8-9 minutes and no cool air comes out, do I expect a bad compressor? I dont think they will fix only the clutch gab.Doest the a/c thermostat create this kind of problem? I'm just afraid that I spend $455 and the problem still there. Thank you very much for your power on red wire diagnostic.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A/C working and not working