General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Can PANIC button be reprogrammed to something useful?

Old 12-03-2011, 08:03 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Lightbulb Can PANIC button be reprogrammed to something useful?

I have a 2009 Accord, sedan, the remote has the typical Lock, Unlock, Trunk, and PANIC buttons. I NEVER use the panic button, this is my 4th Honda, including the ex-wifes. So, it hit me today while I am shopping for a remote starter, the question popped in my head to avoid carring around another remote, 'Can the PANIC button on the Honda key remote be reprogrammed'?

Old 12-03-2011, 08:37 PM
Administrator

Hmmmmm, let's see who just might have the knowlege about this subject...I'm thinking that my stereo Guru..Mr keep_hope_alive just might be your man..Try PM"ing him for a response.

WheelBrokerAng

Old 12-03-2011, 10:32 PM

But what operation would you want the new button to do? Something another button already does?

Besides, it's designed to be hard to press, so I wouldn't want to use it on a regular basis anyway.

And what if you *do* need that PANIC button at some point for some crazy reason? (or any other driver of your car might be in a situation that calls for it).

Old 12-04-2011, 09:26 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by accordhybridowner
But what operation would you want the new button to do? Something another button already does?

Besides, it's designed to be hard to press, so I wouldn't want to use it on a regular basis anyway.

And what if you *do* need that PANIC button at some point for some crazy reason? (or any other driver of your car might be in a situation that calls for it).
Remote Start.

If a Remote Start button was hard to press, I would be ok with that.

Is there one documented case, where the PANIC saved a life? I would ammend my owners manual which would be sold with the car, 'WARNING, use of the PANIC button can only ELEVATE YOUR PANIC; DO NOT PRESS PANIC BUTTON'. I would highlight it in pinkish-red and require that the buyer initial the ammendment.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:06 PM
Super Moderator

The button can already be used to locate your car if you forgot where you parked it.

Additionally, at the dealerships, many times a service adviser or runner will take your car and park it. The tech will later pick up the work order; but, all he sees is a sea of Hondas in the lot, the tech will press the button to quickly locate the car (this is done all the time).

Old 12-05-2011, 07:22 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by accordhybridowner
And what if you *do* need that PANIC button at some point for some crazy reason?).
What you are talking about is the CRAZY button, my model doesn't have that.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:35 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks for all the replys, I sent a pm as suggested, and am considering all the reasons not to change the OEM function of the PANIC button.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:24 PM
Super Moderator

PM replied, but i am copying the response here for others:

if you are an electrical engineer with experience in RF design and microprocessor programming - yes. anything is possible.

the remote button (any of them) are encrypted and received by the car's computer. several items are going to be activated by the panic button. your thought is to re-route the panic DC voltage output from the computer and route to the alarm/remote start trigger. but i suspect the system is more complicated, the panic button may also interrupt the starter. and then you may be fighting the internal computer programming or circuitry.

you won't be able to easily change the RF output of the remote and it will likely be different than any aftermarket remotestart. the remotes are not learning, they are hard wired and encrypted.

remember that to do a remote start you also need an immobilizer bypass (idatalink) and the remote start unit itself.

it is easier to just get a DEI/Viper/Autopage remote start/alarm system and use their keyfob. you also get more programming options. i installed Autopage RS900LCD and love it.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:29 PM
Super Moderator

assuming the panic output is not internally tied to the computer as it relates to other normal functions...

if you buy a detailed service manual (electronic version) i can review the schematics and let you know if it is possible. if possible, and for a fee, design a bypass that does what you want.

your end cost will be close to (if not more than) the cost of an aftermarket RS system.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator

I never had a 2009, but the Helm shop manuals I have owned never have internal circuitry of the PCM or of the key/remote. The schematics only show the wiring harness and the PCM is a "black box".

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can PANIC button be reprogrammed to something useful?