General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Cannot remove cigarette lighter socket 2002 Honda Accord EX

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 01:19 PM
Default Cannot remove cigarette lighter socket 2002 Honda Accord EX

Hi everyone. Thanks in advance for any advice you offer.

I want to replace the cigarette lighter socket in my Honda Accord. It has melted the connectors to two different gps power cords, almost causing a fire the first time and blowing the fuse the second time. I don't want to worry about it causing another fire, so time to replace.

I am having a problem removing the socket. The dealership guy was not helpful over the phone, but said it was easy to do. In my photo you can see I've only managed to mangle the metal. Name:  100_0377.jpg
Views: 2171
Size:  123.7 KB

How do I get the darn thing out? Do I need to remove the console panel? If so, just the bottom storage portion or the radio section as well? I've read some pretty intense repair directions, but nothing specific to a 2002 Honda Accord.

My fave mechanic quoted me $65 plus parts for him to repair it. Is it an easy enough repair or would I be better off to pay the cash for them to do it?

Thanks!

Old 07-07-2011, 06:45 PM

I have the SE... if its like mine, you can take the cubby just below the radio out and there is a metal collar on the back of the cigarette lighter that has to be unscrewed. then the assembly will pull out and you can disconnect from the back... PM if you need more help

Old 08-06-2011, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by langleyluke
I have the SE... if its like mine, you can take the cubby just below the radio out and there is a metal collar on the back of the cigarette lighter that has to be unscrewed. then the assembly will pull out and you can disconnect from the back... PM if you need more help

I dont know how this site works... I cant even find my previous post ...sorry kind of technologically challenged here....

LangleyLuke suggested to access cigarette lighter socket you need to remove the cubby (between the audio panel and the gear shift on the console). Can anyone explain to me how to do that??? I am clueless. I have been told that the metal collar needs to be screwed back on tightly to stop the socket from wiggling, but I dont know how to get access to the back of the socket to try that.

Any suggestions that you can make will be appreciated..... Thanks for any and all of your help!!!

Frustrated karyn

Last edited by PAhonda; 08-06-2011 at 01:26 PM.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator

I removed your email from your last post, because it can attract spammers. If you want people to email you, enable receiving emails under your user CP.

Copy and paste the link below into your browser:

handa-accessories.com/accord/accordchangertrunk.pdf

Start at step 20.