General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Car has trouble staying started after being driven

Old 02-06-2012, 07:33 PM

I have a 99 v6 accord with 275k and its doing the same thing i noticed it is worse if the car is parked on a grade and it smells like fresh gas occasionally when the motor finally blows the junk out of itself.. i have a p1456 code and the engine misfire code p1399 i think, both come and go.. a friend of mine told me this could be due to an accumulation of fuel vapors inside the motor causing the motor to choke out.. i want to agree with this because it does feel like what is happening, the motor does seem to have too much of one thing or vise versa . I have done a bit of maintenance on my vehicle but still the problem remains.
I will suggest having your egr ports manually cleaned as well as the fuel delivery system be prepared to spend a bit for that first one $400 appx. It may not solve your problem but it is worth it... also a can of seafoam couldnt hurt

Last edited by Macro Midget; 02-06-2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:59 AM
Super Moderator

P1456 is a leak in the EVAP system - specifically the fuel tank. It's the code you would get if the gas cap is loose but there's other possibilities. Basically it says your fuel tank isn't airtight like it should be. That usually doesn't cause actual driving problems, but when you say it's worse when parked on a grade tells me that it might be something there.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:25 PM

I want to agree with that, maybe the valve that allows the vapor pass from the tank to the motor is bad and is allowing too much to pass?

Old 02-07-2012, 02:54 PM
Super Moderator

I think that would throw P1457 for the EVAP canister system. You might look at the OVRV shutoff valves & whatever those things are called. Basically there's a couple smaller hoses alongside the fuel filler pipe; look for something disconnected, pinched, or torn. There's a couple more tank vapor hoses above the tank but maybe they're not easy to see. Sorry, I don't have the 98 Accord any more so I also sold the shop manual.

Old 02-07-2012, 04:58 PM

Ok cool thanks, that particular system is a bit of work to get into or on top of to see what is going on on top of the tank, the tank itself seems to have a lot of "security" lowering it doesnt look friendly. I do however want to buy the shop manual it looks integral for repair missions into your car...

Old 02-20-2012, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by accordman71
Hi guy,

Well I've been having a problem with my car for about 6 months now but only recently it has gotten more serious and now happens everyday. First of all I have a 2000 honda accord coupe v6, and the problem is after being driven for awhile and parked for about 10-20 mins and I go to try and start it again it will start, but then quickly after it will try to idle at low rpms and act as tho it is having a misfire but doesn't present any check engine light codes, then stalls out. When this happens I noticed the only way to get it running normal again is to to hold down the gas for 2 or 3 min then it will drive and idle normally. This only happens after I have driven for awhile then parked it for a short amount of time, otherwise it starts normally and drives fine. I've been looking on the forums and to me it sounds like a fuel issue, maybe with the main fuel relay, but before I replace anything I'd like to get your guys opinions on this, what do you guys think it is?

Thanks for the help
Did you ever figure out what the problem was? My 2000 Accord with 106K miles just started doing the same thing... brought to 2 mechanics (highly rated, supposedly) who said they couldn't find anything wrong.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:32 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I think i have figured it out, I think it is the fuel vaporization problem we have with these cars its a design flaw in the car its nothing you did wrong, the only way to fix it is to replace the fuel rails and hose with new ones from the dealer or go to a pick and pull and get the them from an odessy van that has the same engine setup. Mine seems to have gone away on its own it hasnt done it for a good 3 weeks and I havent changed anything I think its because they switched over to the summer blend gas that doesn't vaporize in the fuel rails as much, just look up 2000 honda accord and fuel vaporization in google and you will find many others with the same problem as up.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator

That is one idea, also I think there is a "flash" of the PCM that is suppose to help with this. I'll see if I can find it.

Old 03-31-2012, 02:49 PM

I have the exact same problem with my 2000 Accord. Has been getting progressively worse. Seldom happened in the winter. Will have to get it fixed now. As I'm not doing it myself, I'd like to know if if this problem requires going to dealership.