General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

car reving by itself?!?!?!?!

Old 11-07-2007, 07:08 PM
pcastan
Unregistered
Default car reving by itself?!?!?!?!

Sup all. I just bought a used 1995 two door accord ex coupe 5 speed. Had it inspected for any issues just recently. Now there is one problem that I am having and its that when the car is sitting in idle while sitting at a traffic stop, it would rev by itself! It would go from 1000 rpm to 2000 rpm ever so slowly everytime. The car has an aftermarket exhaust so the reving noise is definitely noticeable. Does anyone know how tofix this?

Old 11-07-2007, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: car reving by itself?!?!?!?!

Is the check engine light on at all? There is a link in the DIY section for ACC 5th gen accords that has a link to a page with the procedure to retrieve error codes.

Is the idle always at 1000 rpms, because it should be at 750 rpms. You most likely have a vacuum leak in the intake allowing more air into the system. Typically people have problems with the fast idle thermo valve (FITV) or the idle air control valve (IAC).

Take off the intake hose going to the throttle body. Before the throttle plate, there will be two holes that allow air to bypass a closed throttle plate. When the car is at normal operating temp, cover both of those holes with your fingers. The engine should stall. The lower hole should have very little vacuum when the car is warmed up.

If it still runs, then air is getting in some other way. Clean both sides of the throttle plate with throttle body cleaner and a toothbrush to make sure the throttle plate isn't stuck slightly open. Make sure that there is some slack in the cable going to the throttle body as well.

One other simple test to try is to pull the 7.5 amp radio fuse for 30 seconds. This resets the ECU so it can relearn the idle.

Old 11-07-2007, 07:45 PM
pcastan
Unregistered

wow, thanks alot

Old 11-07-2007, 08:27 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

yea it does that for me every time i disconnect the brake booster hose to seafoam my engine.

Check the vacuum hoses, then the sensors.

Old 11-08-2007, 01:06 AM

I have been hearing a lot about Seafoam, did you spray or pour it in the booster vacuum hose, what speed was the engine, idle or did you have to keep it from dying by manually holding the engine speed up?