General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 honda accord sitting 2 months,not starting

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 04:51 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 97 honda accord sitting 2 months,not starting

im getting a 97 accord for free from a friend who doesnt know anything about cars he bought a new one so the honda was sitting for 2 months,i went over there to check it out and I turned the key but nothing happens no lights and no noises,i open the hood and the negative battery wire looks to be chewed im guessing rats ate some wires,im pickin the car up tmrw and first is obviously the battery im gonna check the voltage or buy another one,also im thinking he might of jumped the car and crossed the wires and it fried something,when i tried jumping it the cables got super hot and little smoke came from the battery terminal,im into bmw's i just picked the accord up to learn about hondas and also it was free,any advice you can give me to start,thnx

Old 03-31-2011, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator

You can use your jumper cable to do some quick tests.

I am not sure which part of the negative battery cable got chewed up.

You can hook one end of the jumper cable to the negative battery terminal, then connect the other end to the ground bolt on the radiator support. See if making your own temporary ground will allow the engine to start.

An alternative test is to hook up the jumper cables on the battery terminals like you would when jump starting the car. Briefly touch the other ends to see if you have a spark. Testing the voltage across the battery terminal will accomplish the same thing.

Old 03-31-2011, 05:29 PM
Newest Of Newbies

alright thnx,when i get it tomorrow i will take pics of the car and the engine to show you what I think maybe can be some issues