General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car won't crank...sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 06:10 PM
workbcs
Unregistered
Default car won't crank...sometimes

got a 99 accord EX V6 - daughter drives to school - cranks everytime in the morning - when she gets out of school car will spin but not fire - got under hood and no spark to plugs or ignition - cleaned cap and rotor kicked the tires and she cranked and did fine for about two weeks - did it again and I replaced the ignition coil and igniter - cranked and ran for week and a half - after a minute or two the car cranked and been a week now but waiting forit to happen again -

any ideas what to look for or do?????

Old 10-15-2007, 07:09 PM
Default RE: car won't crank...sometimes

I don't know if this is related, but on a lot of older Accord's that have a "Main relay", that tend to have problems with heat. You mentioned that it doesn't work in the afternoon. I am pretty sure that it controls the fuel pump, computer andcoil (if it has one). I don't know where it is on your car, but some of the other guys here should be able to tell you. The only problem with the main relay is that it is $50+ and you could just be dropping it on something that doesn't need to be replaced.

Old 10-15-2007, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator

Try this link (thanks DesertHonda)
http://techauto.te.funpic.org/

Main relay switches power on/off for the fuel pump & other things. The fuel pump part has a known problem with solder-joints cracking. If you're good with a soldering iron you can fix it for free. Just remelt the joints on the board.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:25 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Have you checked whether you still have no spark when no-start occurs? If yes, then main fuel relay (MFR) won't fix the problem. MFR only controls power to fuel pump and fuel injectors.

If no spark, then check first whether you have power to the distributor (usually blk/yel wire), and if no power, then keyswitch is likely source of problem.

If you have power, it's either coil (more likely) or ignitor, even though just replaced.

good luck

Old 10-15-2007, 10:22 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: workbcs

- did it again and I replaced the ignition coil and igniter - cranked and ran for week and a half - after a minute or two the car cranked and been a week now but waiting forit to happen again -

any ideas what to look for or do?????

Ok I am a bit confused
..........you replaced coil and ignitor , started for a week and 1/2........this is the part i am confused ..( after a minute or two the car cranked and been a week now but waiting forit to happen again -)

does it mean that it has not done it for a week ??( has been starting ok ? )
after a minute or two car cranked ??? what do you mean ?? it did not start for a few minutes ??

and been a week ?? has been starting ok for past week ?? Or are you still having the issue daily ??
By the way was the igniton switch recall ever done ???

Old 10-15-2007, 11:07 PM
workbcs
Unregistered

Sorry desert - The second time it would not crank I checked and there was no fire - I replaced the coil and ignitor and it fired right up and had cranked several times a day since then for about a week and a half. Then same scenario after school she called and said it would not start. Told her to try again and it fired up and once again has cranked every day since.

Bought the car used and the guy told me he had the electrical part of the swich replaced but not sure about the entire switch - any way I can tell if it has been done?

Old 10-16-2007, 12:15 AM

You say it doesnt start, then after a minute or two it does start, how has the temperature been there during these no starts, how about the inside of the car, much warmer or HOT, this is when the Main Relay goes bad, no one in their right mind would get into a hot car and sit there for two minutes, your daughter is opening the window or the door, this is letting the hot air out and the car is starting in two minutes, if this is correct, you need a Main Relay for no fuel pump operation and it can be fixed as mentioned by yourself.

Side note, as mentioned, it operates the fuel pump from one of the relays, its a two relay unit, the other relay powers the injectors AND PARTS OF THE COMPUTER, this is what makes the CEL come on for a few seconds and the fuel pump come on for a few seconds initially for priming of the fuel rail.

Another observation but less popular, turning the key on and off and on several times may give extra fuel helping the car to start, weak fuel pump or clogged filter, but I doubt this is your problem. A few key cycles as soon as a no start is observed before the interior has time to cool down (door and window left closed) may show this fault, questionable.

Extra key cycles could allow the Main Relay to close too, it takes more amps to close it than it does to hold it closed, a little theory there.

Old 10-16-2007, 01:29 AM
Super Moderator

As for the ignition switch, call the service department at the dealership. They should be able to tell you if it has been done based off of the VIN.

How did you determine that there was no spark? I doubt that you have a fuel problem and a spark problem at the same time (although anything is possible). Are your new coil and ignitor parts from AutoZone or from the dealership?

FYI: If you listen carefully when you turn the key to the II position, you will be able to hear a whirling sound from the trunk after/during the series of clicks. You might have to take off the gas cap and have someone else turn the key to hear it clearly. If you hear that whirl, then the MFR is getting power to the fuel pump.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:36 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Please clarify if there is a problem at all since you changed the ignitor and coil.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:58 PM
workbcs
Unregistered

Parts used were Honda New Parts
After replacing the parts - the car cranked fine for a week & 1/2 then it happened again - this time it cranked within a few minutes
Daughter said the inside of the car was hot so I will resolder the relay
I believe it is not a fuel problem - every time it would not crank I was not getting fire to the coil or plugs
Thanks for everyone's help so far.

Quick Reply: car won't crank...sometimes